Forums Latest Members
  1. gtopaul Mar 23, 2013

I mentioned this watch below but thought I'd add a few more pics. Interesting that this watch doesn't have a serial number. Was that the norm for the 14k models? The owner of the watch was involved with the Bush rescue in Sep 1944 and got his own command in Oct 1944 so the crew of the Finback probably took up a collection and presented him this watch. Pretty expensive piece in 1944 dollars. (Still trying to figure out how the pics work on this site).

Paul

spratlin10.jpg spratlin11.jpg spratlin2.jpg spratlin14.jpg spratlin13.JPG spratlin18.JPG spratlin15.JPG
  2. jwalther Mar 24, 2013

I almost bought that one last year. . .from you?

3. gtopaul Mar 24, 2013

Not me, I just picked it up last week. The person I bought it off got it from a local jeweler/watch tinkerer so he received no history with it. Upon doing some research on the watch I found the original owner had five sons and I think one of them might live fairly close to me so I'm going to try and contact him and see what they can tell me about the watch. Owner passed away in 2001 and it seems unusual to me that one of the five sons wouldn't have kept the watch if given the option.

4. jwalther Mar 25, 2013

Cool! I did a little research myself when I was looking at it. IIRC, the original owner became a success in the construction business in Atlanta?

5. gtopaul Mar 25, 2013

After a couple of days of Googling, and a few phone calls, I found one of the sons of the original owner. He rememberd the watch and had no idea what happened to it. I think it belongs with the original family so I'm sending it to him today. A great ending I think.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 25, 2013

Very honorable. The family must be very grateful to have this historical piece back.