Forums Latest Members

Hints on Removing SMPc bracelet?

1. pixnw Dec 22, 2017

I can't believe what a difficult time I'm having removing the bracelet on my SMPc. I have the Bergeon 6111 spring bar tool with the small fork end. Getting the spring bar compressed isn't a problem but the last link seems to fit between the lugs so tight I can't get it to move enough to keep it from slipping back in while I get the other side, and there certainly doesn't seem to be enough play to work it out with only one side freed up. I've read every thread I can find and watched quite a few vid's, but still no look.

Any tips anyone could offer would be most appreciated.

2. wsfarrell Dec 22, 2017

It's a little tricky, but you have to apply light pressure to the first end of the spring bar after it's out to keep it from going back in, while popping the other end out. Three hands would help, if you have a sympathetic spouse/friend, until you get the hang of it.

pixnw likes this.
  3. pixnw Dec 22, 2017

Thanks wsfarrell. That's what I've been trying to do. Even without much pressure the end that isn't freed doesn't want to move, as if it's bound up. I've even used a loupe, and when one side of the spring bar is depressed all of the way it barely, and I mean barely, clears the lug of the watch. I've read some places that using 19mm sping bars makes it much easier? Does anyone know if the SMPc uses the standard 1.8mm diameter spring bars or if they're the thicker 2mm? Thanks for any help.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2017

The spring bars used are 1.8 mm. However Omega provides spring bars in two different lengths so one is for bracelets and one for straps. The strap spring bars are longer, so if someone has installed those in the watch instead of the bars for bracelets, removing them will be much more difficult. Based on your description I think you may have the longer bars installed.

If you have a local watchmaker you trust, they could likely help.

Cheers, Al

jetkins likes this.
  5. pixnw Dec 23, 2017

Thank you Archer. It is the bars that were installed when I purchased the watch new. I do think I will have someone locally remove the bars and replace them. Since it is 20mm between lugs I assume I want 19mm for the bracelet and 20mm for straps?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2017

The 1.8 mm diameter spring bar part number for bracelets is 068ST2207, and for straps the part number is 068ST2208. I would recommend getting Omega bars, rather than using generics.

Cheers, Al

7. pixnw Dec 23, 2017

Thanks for the part numbers! Do I have to get them from an AD or a boutique?

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 23, 2017

Out of interest Al, any idea why the 2 bar types are different lengths?

9. jetkins Dec 23, 2017

And does this mean that if I was to put a NATO on my Tintin, I should replace the bars for extra safety?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2017

Simply to make the removal of bracelets easier. Since the end links are tight between the lugs, there's less opportunity to have the bar come out, so shorter bars can be used there for ease of removal.

I would use the longer bars for all straps - straps an pull sideways under specific circumstances, and this can pull on the plunger portion of the bar and make it pop out of the hole in the lug.

TMas and padders like this.
  11. tdg2064 Jan 5, 2018

I almost tried this on my own, but decided against it, knowing me I will definitely mess it up haha.