Forums Latest Members

High quality and larger fit NATO options

1. bigsom Aug 11, 2016

I recently purchased 3 NATO straps from Crown and Buckle's "premium" line. While the nylon is thick and robust, the hardware leaves something to be desired (feels thin and cheap - which makes sense for a 15 dollar strap). Furthermore, the buckle side of the strap is only 60 mm or so and only reaches the side of my wrist (I'm not sure if this is how a NATO is supposed to be).

I'm looking for something with more robust hardware, and perhaps an option for longer "buckle" side straps. Any recommendations or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Here is how it fits on my wrist:

[​IMG]

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 11, 2016

What's the length of that strap? I've got a few options for you. I've got a strap maker that does longer versions.
    Natostrapco.com makes them in 2 lengths but you have to figure out which model is the longer version.

3. bigsom Aug 11, 2016

The strap length is actually quite long at 280 mm. The total length is ok, it's the buckle side length from the flap division to the end of the strap that's too short (like 60 mm or so). The strap would wear perfectly if the length from the buckle end to the flap was 80 mm.

Edited Aug 12, 2016
  4. Euxinus Aug 12, 2016

I experienced the same problem from
    natos purchased at cheapestnatostraps.com, I know it's no help in finding the right nato strap but just a heads up.

5. bigsom Aug 13, 2016

After a bit more digging, apparently the MoD specifications for the G10 strap (NATO) call for the buckle to be on the side of the wrist. This may explain why most of these straps have such a short "buckle" side length. While I find it a bit unsightly, I understand wanting to be true to the original specification.

Euxinus likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 13, 2016

Oh I get it you want the buckle on the bottom not off to the side. The only one I have like that is the OEM from Omega. The other option is use 3 ring 1 piece Zulu straps. They wear a bit thinner but you can place the buckle at the bottem. I just had one custom made and I'm loving it.

Edited Aug 13, 2016
    Euxinus likes this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 13, 2016

I liked natos at the beginning ...

then the fact that you have 2x the thickness of the nato running under the watch - makes it a bit wobbly ... as the whole watch just sits on 20mm of rather high nylon on your wrist, somewhat hovering ...

[​IMG]

so it seems to work better on lighter smaller watches (e.g. my 33mm mil hamilton) than bigger heavier watches which WILL wobble a lot

cheers, al

Edited Aug 13, 2016
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 13, 2016

Luminox NATOs are the best around. Tried many over the years.

They do a few types single and double and hardware is solid as you can get.
    Not a $15 strap but are the goods as I use them for several beaters and usually just take them off and throw the in the washing machine after a fishing trip as they get a bit slimy due to handling fish and sunscreen.

9. Perseus Aug 16, 2016

I order single piece RAF style straps when possible but when that's not an option I off the extra piece and turn it into a single piece strap. That way I can get the buckle in the middle of my wrist.

10. nate168 Aug 16, 2016

im thinking of ordering one from daluca straps for my pam 372 as they are the only ones that seem to have a 26mm in nato, though the price is scaring me off a bit, not sure if one can find the exact same manufacture cheaper with another dealer, the hardware seems bulkier might be worth a try to look on they're site.

This is the one i'm thinking of not sure if its a huge difference in hardware compared to the one you have

http://www.dalucastraps.com/ballistic-nylon-nato-watch-strap-sand-matte-buckle/