Forums Latest Members

High end watch store not carrying Omega?

1. Canuck Jul 28, 2015

I visited a jewellery store today that carries a good range of medium to high end watches. They carry Rolex, Tudor, Patek, Panerai, Cartier, Vacheron, and one or two others I've forgotten. But I was very surprised! They don't carry Omega! Is this a trend initiated by the Omega company going to boutique stores? They also didn't carry Longines, TAG, Breitling, Rado, Baume & Mercier, Blancpain, and Breguet. Maybe not so "high end" after all!

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

They carry Patek & Vacheron? They're high end. They don't care what you (or I) think.

It all depends on who a given retailer signs agreements with. There's no "high-end" package.

Archer likes this.
  3. i20rider Jul 28, 2015

Also if your in a mall or large shopping area. There may be an omega boutique in the area the will have exclusive rights to sell in the area.

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 28, 2015

If there is an Omega botique nearby, that may explain your observation. We visited the Tourneau and Wempe stores on 5th Ave in NYC a few weeks ago, and they have zero new Omegas; the store personnel told that us once the 5th Ave Omega botique got up and running, Omega stopped sending them watches to sell.

i20rider likes this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 28, 2015

Agree with others. In San Diego there was an AD that sold Omega, but once the boutique opened across the way (in a mall) they stop selling Omega. They do sell Omega at their other store that is 20+ miles away.

6. anselmw Jul 28, 2015

Which watch AD is this. There are very few Patek dealers in total. If they carry Patek and VC, not sure they even care about carrying the other brands you mentioned.

7. Canuck Jul 28, 2015

This is a watch dealer in out of the way Calgary, Alberta, (Canada). There is not an Omega boutique here. In a city of 1.1 million people, in the heart of the (failing at present) petroleum industry, I guess it's only a matter of time before there is a boutique here. The only Omega dealer here also carries Rolex. But he doesn't carry some of the brands carried by the subject retailer.

8. anselmw Jul 28, 2015

Surprised there is no dealer there. I could of sworn a member on watchuseek was from Calgary and owned all the liquid metal watches, all purchased in a short period of time. Inspired me to do the same.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

It all depends on if there is an Omega Boutique nearby.

Some of the larger chains like Jared are still Omega AD's, but only in certain locations.

gatorcpa

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2015

The Omega site shows 2 Omega AD's in Calgary...

J. Vair Anderdson Ltd.

Calgary Jewellery

No idea how up to date that information is though. There is no boutique in Calgary that I am aware of. The only one listed in Canada is in Vancouver, but I know there in one in Toronto that has been referred to as a boutique.

There are typically 2 boutique models used by these large companies - one is all company owned and run, and one is owned by a jewelry chain and is more of a partnership. My impression is the one in Vancouver is owned by Omega, and the one in Toronto is part of the EJ chain (which is enough to keep me out of it forever).

Cheers, Al

oddboy likes this.
  11. Superdoc Aug 1, 2015

Seems like no swatch group representation there....

Likely a margin issue.

12. Paedipod Aug 1, 2015

I know where you were.......and there is a bit of a retail story that can be summarized as "if you don't give us pride of place, then you won't carry our product" added into the recent acquisition of this store by the Birks group. Also in the mix is that Omega is apparently aiming to be boutique only in Canada, and the AD network is gradually being squeezed out. Not sure which is more important, but the sales team are disappointed. Can only hope for a boutique here but gives me an excuse to stop in at Vancouver on road trips. On a side note, this store does not need Omega, but in town here Omega probably needed them.......the two listed by Al above have no real expertise or interest in the brand.

PS. If you are out of the way frequently........get in my way for a coffee!