Forums Latest Members

Hidden gems from the NASA photo archive

1. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Sep 30, 2015

No wrist shots, but I love this pic of Armstrong and Scott in their Gemini 8 capsule, 1966
    IMG_20150930_193339.jpg

2. TLIGuy Oct 1, 2015

@AAAKK Don't sell your picture short. Absolutely a wrist shot there. You just have to look harder. Check out Armstrong's right sleeve.

Nice choice. The colors in this image make it one of the best Gemini mission photos out there.

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 7.31.56 AM.jpg

J!m, chiefenergy, fbf and 7 others like this.
  3. TLIGuy Oct 1, 2015

On the topic of Armstrong and the days of Gemini...

Here is a picture you have never seen before and recently made public. From the recently released book Spaceshots & Snapshots of Projects Mercury & Gemini, and courtesy of author J. Pickering, here is a high resolution image of Armstrong and Gordon as Gemini 9 CAPCOM's.

Just a really nice image of Armstrong wearing his seldom seen straight lug Speedmaster.

12.34.tif.jpg

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 1, 2015

Gem #36

This is a deep crop from a high-resolution image, showing John Young (Apollo 16) as he shock-tests his Speedmaster while trying to break off a piece of the boulder.

Official description in image library:

While Charlie takes the picture, John tries to knock a chip off the top of the rock.

jyoung_hammer.jpg

5. Hijak Oct 1, 2015

This is an outstanding thread!:cool:

Geo!, sarir97 and Jones in LA like this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 2, 2015

Gem #37

Notice the bezel of Charlie Duke's Speedmaster silhouetted against the body of his chest-mounted Hasselblad camera.

The open checklist pages shown on Duke's left wrist are shown in detail in the second image below.

Charlie is pointing to a sample location on the face of Outhouse Rock. The photo is sharp enough that we can confirm that Charlie has magazine K ("Kilo") on his Hasselblad and that his checklist is open to pages LMP-30 and LMP-31.

bezel.jpg

checklist.jpg

7. proximal Oct 3, 2015

J!m, BrianMcKay, TLIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 3, 2015

Wow! This is the much of the same stuff that I was digging through on a nasa.gov server, except that it's better organized and much easier to browse. The film canister albums appear to be complete because they also include all the crappy out-of-focus, over-exposed photos as well. Thanks @proximal for the heads-up!

9. TLIGuy Oct 5, 2015

The picture of Duke working at Outhouse Rock has always been a popular image of Duke. There are plenty of things going on in the image that really makes it visually interesting.

Here is the inside of Duke's wrist with a nice picture of the mirror attached to his Velcro strap.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 8.36.00 AM.jpg

Apollo-16-Lunar-Module-Flown-and-Surface-Used-Wrist-Mirror.jpg

10. TLIGuy Oct 6, 2015

Here is an image from the newly organized Project Apollo Archive from Apollo 13.

I think this image has to be Lovell's watch since he is the only one that wears his watch on his right wrist. Both Haise and Swigert wear their watches on their left wrists.

Another interesting thing in this image is that it was taken with a Hasselblad camera that was to used for taking pictures on the surface of the moon since it contains the reseau crosses. The onboard camera does not contain the reseau plate. I guess if you are not going to need it on the moon you might as well take a few pictures while your hanging out in the LEM.

Man...I have way too much time on my hands.

21927865241_24b21011a6_k.jpg

Edited Oct 6, 2015
  11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 6, 2015

Whatever the original intent of the photo may have been, it's cool that the wristwatch comes out as being the principal subject. Thanks for sharing that @TLIGuy !

TLIGuy likes this.
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 7, 2015

We seem to have left the other gender out of the picture so it's time to make amends.

This photo features retired JAXA astronaut Naoko Yamazaki (as well as Jim Lovell) at an Omega-organized event this week in Tokyo.

yamazaki3.jpg
    © OMEGA Ltd.

Ms. Yamazaki appears to have a Speedmaster of some particular variety on her wrist
    yamazaki4.jpg
    © OMEGA Ltd.

Here she is aboard the ISS with fellow JAXA astronaut Soichi Naguchi. Yamazaki flew on STS-131 (Discovery) in 2010.
    yamazaki1.jpg

It looks like she was sporting a Speedmaster X-33.
    yamazaki2.jpg

Edited Oct 7, 2015
  13. Lou P YaY! Oct 7, 2015

Very good catch @Jones in LA , and in this pic from the same mission she wore the X-33 AND what looks like a Moonwatch.
    iss023e023929_moonphase.jpg

But looking carefully...it's actually a Speedmaster Moonphase!

moonphase closeup 2.png

So assuming it's a 3576.50 (and not a 345.0809) we can confirm that model's been "flown", YaY!

I always thought it was strange how she has the watches on the outside of her cute pink sweater with both dials facing the camera. Looks sorta staged, doesn't it? So the Omega event photo you posted above now makes me wonder if she might've been an ambassador all along!

14. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 7, 2015

Hey @Lou P -- your catch is waaay better! You don't know how many mission photos I sifted through just to find that one X-33 photo. And you find TWO Speedmasters! I also discovered that Ms. Yamazaki wears all kinds of gadgetry and watches on her wrists, besides Speedmasters.

Lou P likes this.
  15. ricardorio Oct 7, 2015

I like this one. You can see Ron Evans wearing his Speedmaster (145012 ? Nasa Archives) with regular bracelet

21672888852_f027e4567e_n.jpg

Jones in LA and Lou P like this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 9, 2015

Gem #38

The Omega Speedmaster was originally designed and marketed in 1957 with the automotive enthusiast in mind. It wasn't until over a decade later that the Speedmaster became known as the Moonwatch.

Now, ponder the significance of this photograph: a one-of-a-kind automobile, with its intrepid driver wearing a Speedmaster. On the Moon. The Speedmaster had come full circle.

This excellent picture of John [Young] at Station 10 Prime is a "locator" to the Rover from the rake sample site.

[click on the image to see a higher-resolution display]
    young_rover.jpg

17. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 13, 2015

Gem #39

From the Skylab 2 Mission, the Speedmaster in a familiar role

(25 May 1973) --- Scientist-astronaut Joseph P. Kerwin, science pilot of the Skylab 2 mission, is suited up in the Manned Spacecraft Operations Building at the Kennedy Space Center during Skylab 2 prelaunch preparations.

skylab2-1.jpg

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 20, 2015

Gem #40

From the Skylab 2 Mission we see an early precursor to the Silver Snoopy Speedmaster. Can anyone identify the box-like gadget (the thing with Snoopy on it) that is attached to the velcro watch strap adjacent to the Speedmaster? Maybe an atmosphere monitor & alarm?

(1 June 1973) --- Scientist-astronaut Joseph P. Kerwin, Skylab 2 science pilot, forms a perfect sphere by blowing water droplets from a straw in zero-gravity. He is in the crew quarters of the Skylab Orbital Workshop

skylab_kerwin.jpg

snoopy.jpg

19. TLIGuy Oct 21, 2015

The small rectangular box is a passive personal radiation dosimeter tag used by Kerwin, a medical doctor, to track radiation exposure levels.

[Edit] From the Skylab Bio-medical results document "The passive radiation dosimeter can be worn on a soft strap on either the wrist or ankle."

Edited Oct 21, 2015
    SurvivingJoe, fbf, RC03 and 4 others like this.
  20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 21, 2015

Thanks @TLIGuy ! I was hopin' you'd have the answer :)

TLIGuy likes this.