Forums Latest Members
  1. pikers Jul 22, 2019

Hi all,

Long time lurker that finally signed up so I could take part in the conversation. I've been deep into watches for about 5 years now and my collection has been continuously evolving as I learn more and my tastes change. At the moment, I have a few Rolex pieces and a vintage Seamaster from the 50's that needs a service but I still wear it just because it looks so good. I had a Speedmaster 3570.50 for a few years that I stupidly sold earlier this year as part of my collection purge. Getting a new Speedy is my highest "watch priority" at the moment.

Other than watches my other passion and money burning hobby is film photography.

Any Boston Red bar members on here?

WYO_Watch, MRC and BatDad like this.
  2. BatDad Jul 22, 2019

There's a few folks from Boston on here - are you inside the 128?

pikers likes this.
  3. pikers Jul 22, 2019

That's good to hear! I'm just outside of 128, right on the Wellesley/Natick line. Moved to "the burbs" after spending about 12 years in downtown Waltham.

BatDad likes this.
  4. Walrus Jul 22, 2019

Hey I was just at one of the omega stores in Boston. I grew up in the area but moved to a neighboring state. Still go back frequently to see family

pikers likes this.
  5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 22, 2019

I'm in Southie. Welcome to OF!

Here's my 1940 Hamilton Linwood

Linwood.jpg

Als 27, allwoundup and pikers like this.
  6. pikers Jul 22, 2019

Whoa! That's a beauty! Love the sides of the case.

Als 27 and Deafboy like this.
  7. MRC Jul 22, 2019

Hi, I lived in Natick for three years, working at Prime Computer in the Old Brewery building Mathworks have recently knocked down. Bought my first Omega in 1982 while I was there.

P1010362m.JPG

BatDad and pikers like this.
  8. pikers Jul 22, 2019

If it's any consolation, the new MathWorks campus is beautiful. Lovely Seamaster!

MRC likes this.
  9. SouthernScot Jul 22, 2019

I’ve no idea what inside the 128 means but welcome to the forum from an exiled Scot in southern UK. Enjoy your time here!

BatDad, Als 27 and pikers like this.
  10. MRC Jul 22, 2019

Outer ringroad/motorway/freeway. Not quite like the M25 because a lot of Greater Boston is outside it. Very useful for orientation if you're used to British placenames eg Manchester is next to Bedford, Pembroke is east coast....

11. pikers Jul 22, 2019

Haha. I would be surprised if you did know what it was!

It's a highway in Massachusetts (technically Route 128, it's not an interstate highway) that basically surrounds Boston and the adjacent towns/cities. Other than actually driving on it, we use it as a reference point to determine how close something is to the city.

I've been the Ireland and England but I haven't had the pleasure of making to Scotland. It's on our short list. Thanks for the warm welcome.

BatDad and SouthernScot like this.
  12. Als 27 Jul 22, 2019

Southern scot.
    Pleased to meet you
    From another exile scot
    Living in france...
    We seem to get all over the place...
    Hope you like southern england.
    Best wishes al's.

SouthernScot likes this.
  13. MRC Jul 22, 2019

You'd be surprised how many Brits there were in the computer manufacturing businesses around Boston in the 1980s. I was one such.

You like film cameras? Here's my favourite showing signs of age and use :

IMG_0818m.JPG

A local friend used to take her dry-plate camera and developing tent to US Civil War re-enactments and make the re-enactors stand still for a 30 seconds exposure while she took their photo, and then developed it on site. Her husband is a retired press photographer, his photos are precisely exposed and focused, but so formula :(

14. rott3 Jul 22, 2019

Hey welcome to the forum!
    I am a newbie around here as well and must say it has been a fantastic source of knowledge!
    I am sure you will enjoy it!
    All the best!

15. pikers Jul 22, 2019

Glad to find another film shooter! I've cut down on my camera gear, but I still have too much. This is my main shooter and film. Plaubel Makina 670 and Portra 400NC, usually 220 since I only get 10 shots on 120 :) I have a freezer full of this stuff. My passion is travel photography but I'm not able to travel as much as I used to. C'est la vie. My photography isn't great but if you want to check it I have some stuff up on my somewhat stale website: mikepouliot.com also @mike_pouliot on Instagram
    plaubel.jpg

16. pikers Jul 22, 2019

I've already spent hours if not days reading the posts on this site. Incredibly helpful information. I'm not basing TRF but the Omega forums are a bit of fresh air after spending most of my time over there. I can only take so much of the "Rolex shortage" conversations.

17. Lazy_Lightning Aug 3, 2019

I'm also a new member to the Omega Forums from Boston. Seems like we're well represented.