Forums Latest Members
  1. eds Dec 5, 2015

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, and totally ignorant about watches. I recently came across a box of stuff I inherited after my mom and dad passed, and found 2 men's watches I had forgotten about. I was hoping you might be able to offer some information/opinions about this Seamaster DeVille.

In the 60s my dad managed a printing plant in Mexico City, and the employees gave him the watch. I believe the inscription on the back says (19)64. I realize I need to have the back taken off to get a serial number, but the darn thing seems to keep excellent time, so I'm not dying to spend money on it unnecessarily.

I do not know how much my dad wore this watch, so I have no idea how much work was done to it. He was not the kind of guy whom I would have expected to have paid a lot to maintain a watch, tho. No idea if the band is original. From what little I gather from what I've read here, that does not look like an original crown. Heck, for all I know, the whole thing could be a cheap knock-off!

Any thoughts on what it might be worth? Since it was my dad's, I don't plan on selling it. But if it is a cheap watch, I might not wish to put too much money in it should it stop working. My bet is that it wouldn't have been too terribly pricey. Any way to tell if it is 14k vs plate?

Finally, sorry I'm so lousy at taking photos. I couldn't figure out how to avoid the glare and shadows. Let me know if any additional photos would help.

BTW, the other watch is a nice (IMO) rectangular Lord Elgin, also in fine working order. Was a nice surprise to unexpectedly have 2 nice, sentimental vintage wristwatches!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eds Dec 5, 2015

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, and totally ignorant about watches. I recently came across a box of stuff I inherited after my mom and dad passed, and found 2 men's watches I had forgotten about. I was hoping you might be able to offer some information/opinions about this Seamaster DeVille.

In the 60s my dad managed a printing plant in Mexico City, and the employees gave him the watch. I believe the inscription on the back says (19)64. I realize I need to have the back taken off to get a serial number, but the darn thing seems to keep excellent time, so I'm not dying to spend money on it unnecessarily.

I do not know how much my dad wore this watch, so I have no idea how much work was done to it. He was not the kind of guy whom I would have expected to have paid a lot to maintain a watch, tho. No idea if the band is original. From what little I gather from what I've read here, that does not look like an original crown. Heck, for all I know, the whole thing could be a cheap knock-off!

Any thoughts on what it might be worth? Since it was my dad's, I don't plan on selling it. But if it is a cheap watch, I might not wish to put too much money in it should it stop working. My bet is that it wouldn't have been too terribly pricey. Any way to tell if it is 14k vs plate?

Finally, sorry I'm so lousy at taking photos. I couldn't figure out how to avoid the glare and shadows. Let me know if any additional photos would help.

BTW, the other watch is a nice (IMO) rectangular Lord Elgin, also in fine working order. Was a nice surprise to unexpectedly have 2 nice, sentimental vintage wristwatches!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 5, 2015

Spend the money to get it serviced and the crown replaced with a correct one; it's a nice watch. It's a nice watch and a better keepsake. I think it's stainless but can't tell for sure, from your photos.

4. eds Dec 5, 2015

Man, what an idiot! Looking at the pics I just saw that the links of the band say Spiedel - so obviously a cheapie.

What is the value of having it serviced if it seems to keep really good time?

Does the incorrect crown indicate my dad had it replaced? Or maybe the watch was used when it was given to him? The only watches I ever remember him wearing were Timexes or Seikos.

5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 5, 2015

I've never seen one of these thick lugged Seamasters with 'De Ville' on the dial, but thenagain I'm far from being a Seamaster expert, someone more knowledgable will chip in.

I do like these thick lugged Seamasters though.

A correct crown an a service should set you back about €200.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 5, 2015

The crown was likely replaced during a service
    That's actually a good point. Neither have I. I just checked OVD and couldn't find one in the photos. I guess the only way to know for sure it to get the reference number.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2015

Your car is probably running great, so don't change the oil until it starts clanging!
    Get the point?

Old oil loses viscosity and leads to wear, so prevent damage to precious parts by keeping things fresh!

You can exercise and eat your vegetables.......or, you can sign-up on the transplant list.

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2015

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

I hope eds stands for Eddie Edwards and not for erectile dysfunction syndrome!
    Just a joke to relax, we are pretty casual hereabouts.

Regarding photos, shoot out of the sunlight on a bright day if possible, get as close as you can, use the macro setting (sometimes a flower symbol) and take a bunch of shots, sending us the best.

The Speidel watch band can damage the watch, so a good first step would be to have a watchmaker remove that band.
    Secondly, have the caseback taken off by someone qualified and get good pictures of the movement and the inside of the caseback.
    Then, we can assess the watch and condition and plan a proper course of action.

Ed(s), this is a nice, legacy watch with great provenance, don't hesitate to spend a few dollars.
    You, or your sons, will be glad you did!

Hey eds, we got two threads going! Maybe the mods can help us.

Edited Dec 5, 2015