Forums Latest Members

Hey! He tried to service it!

1. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 22, 2019

So I was bouncing around on fleaBay, looking at random watches.

You ever do this?

Well, I saw this Wittnauer chrono.
    [​IMG]

Not all that attractive but I read the description.

"The watch has very nice hands and dial. The case has some scratches and use but looks like it would buff out fairly well. The crystal has fine scratches from wear but nothing that I would consider a serious scratch. When I first acquired this watch the movement ran well but the second hand would stop intermittently. I wore this watch for a full week hoping the second hand would start behaving itself. During that time the watch ran well and kept good time, the start, stop, and reset functions all worked properly. After a week of wearing this I placed a drop of watch oil on all of the visible pivots on the movement, since oiling, the watch wont stay running for more than a few minutes at a time."

Vintage Wittnauer Push Button Chronograph Mens Wristwatch Watch StainlessPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm thinking he could have just soaked the thing in gasoline for while.

Vitezi and KingCrouchy like this.
  2. KingCrouchy Aug 22, 2019

I think he should be careful to not put to much Oil on it, or the United States may decide to invade it.:whistling:

3. Ville_W Aug 22, 2019

::facepalm1:: Just wonder how many nice watches that have been ruined by people without any knowledge about watchmaking. I hope someone will save it before the oil reaches the dial.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. 89-0 Aug 22, 2019

KingCrouchy and zrleopold like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 22, 2019

Look again. Oil can only improve that dial ...

6. KingCrouchy Aug 22, 2019

It hurts me to see a Watch die!:eek: