Forums Latest Members

Heuer Parade / Phillips Geneva n6 sale

1. MaiLollo Nov 12, 2017

Fellow watchgeeks,

I know that the Heuer community isn't the biggest here, but I was wondering what are the opinions on yesterday's sales (Heuer and the "regular" Rolex/Patek follow-up sale)?

I feel like both reached similar levels, very few lots went over the estimates and most were in the middle. I feel like the Carreras performed strongly, even though I'm surprised that the 2447SN's didn't go higher than the NS.
    I recall that the Philips sale held in May brought much stronger results, I don't know if it's related to the content of the auctions or the timing.

Anyways, I know that no one has the crystal ball, but I think that it's a nice conversation to have given the impact these auctions have on our market...

JimJupiter likes this.
  2. w154 Nov 12, 2017

The one thing that struck me was the strong results for the early Carreras (esp lot 1), and perhaps softening if the run-away prices of the Autavias. The Monaco 1133B did pretty well as they have seemed out of favour recently. I should have chased a transitional one I found in September much harder, that seems like a bargain now.

MaiLollo likes this.
  3. MaiLollo Nov 12, 2017

Agreed, it performed well. In general the lots with lower estimates performed much better than their rarer/pricier counterparts. I wonder if these smaller lots could be inflated by a "I want to buy a watch from Phillips" syndrome?

4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 12, 2017

The Carrera's ruled the auction...I really wanted #1, as I have a 2447N with a very close serial number but was quite surprised at the results and wasnt even in the race. The 2447NST was strong because it was like new with original sticker still intact...but still a quite surprising price considering that the NST is probably the most common of the lot. What surprised me most was the cooling of the Autavia's (although the examples listed weren't the best which would explain the final numbers). But overall the results were strong, and I believe we haven't seen the peak nor are we close. Bottom line, the auction demonstrated its all about condition. The best pieces commanded the highest dollars...ignore estimate to final prices, they are irrelevant.

Edited Nov 12, 2017
    Kmart and MaiLollo like this.
  5. MaiLollo Nov 12, 2017

Well, it is just a way to compare results' "strength" versus other auctions. Maybe they're not relevant, to me it's just a benchmark.
    I agree that the results were, overall, strong.
    I've just seen the Tourbillon prototype sell for 1.5m, which is an insane result, but seems logical to me. It shows Omega's brand strength

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 12, 2017

We have gotten so used to seeing blowout numbers, esp from the Bacs machine, that an auction in which values do not advance substantially from previous ones seems a little disappointing. I'm glad of it though. The vintage watch market has been heated for a while now, and a pause is welcome. Maybe the speculators will find someplace else to play and let us enjoy the watches again.

aap, MaiLollo and JimJupiter like this.
  7. TexOmega Nov 12, 2017

1st execution Carrera's continue to run strong, some could say galloping. But who can resist nice eggshell?

2447T 1st Execution.JPG

8. w154 Nov 12, 2017

Mines still being serviced and sorted for its wrong crown and missing tension ring... its taking ages. It's such a hard wait.

image.jpg
    TexOmega and MaiLollo like this.
  9. MaiLollo Nov 12, 2017

Its funny you guys posted these "T" pics, I'm so frustrated because my 2447T needs a service and the watchmaker is busy (with my 105.012 as well, another frustration) haven't worn it in ages (I have to fit the tension ring as well :) )

@LouS I agree with your post. Always thought that if prices of watches I own keep going up, it's OK, but if the market "cools down" or goes downhill that's better, then we'll be able to buy more watches :)

10. jhross98 Nov 12, 2017

i had the same initial reaction as others. . ."this is it?". . . with many big time heuer collectors sitting on their hands during the sale (in fact during the Indy 500 carrera, i believe aurel referred to this phenomenon)

i think the drumbeat of "heuer is going to reprice" has been going on for so many months leading to this sale, and then the PN PN printing at such a high #, expectations just got out of hand

i think when you step back and look at the results including premiums, considering the conditions of the watches piece by piece, it actually was a very strong sale that will continue Heuers strong upwards trend in the market. the market is getting more discerning. . the best / unpolished pieces command ever-rising premiums vs the average example or where there might be questions, and that's what you saw in this sale

for *sure* carreras repriced based on these results. did autavias take a step back ? i'm not so sure. just one example. . 37,500 for that rindt ? many that saw it thought it was ridiculously overpolished

my 2 cents

lwong likes this.
  11. Ninja2789 Nov 12, 2017

I mentioned this in another post, but I think part of the perception on Heuer sales "softening" was at least somewhat affected by anchoring from previous Paul New auction.

That being said, it's kind of interesting to think about the Autavia line and how prices have stabilized. My opinion is that there's been a general trend towards thinner and more "vintage" like cases, and the later 1163 and 11630 cases are not in line with that trend. Additionally, there are tons of dial variations that can be decent substitute goods to their higher/rarer priced counterparts (i.e. Orange Boy vs. a normal 11630 Orange hands).

I was personally surprised the "Shuantavia" didn't break $10k. I can't remember the last time I've seen one of these come up and it's just such a different dial layout than the other Autavias.