Forums Latest Members
  1. Furioso May 29, 2019

Calibre 11...green cotes de Geneve dial...nice looking...any love? Quite limited in edition...pros/cons at least, anybody? Thought of one for my dad...barring unforeseeable crash and burn death, its likely to return to me when he passes...I mention because he'd be embarrased by the expense otherwise...

I love the looks, but have some appreciation of the brand being lower in my personal list because it just doesn't seem to have the functional chops that I enjoy so much...but as a legacy/ heritage/ 'heirloom' dare I say, it certainly will remind me of my dad - any Monaco, really, especially with the lefty crown, would be right up his alley, unexpected, immensely appreciated.

Eta: oh, and, I suppose, any likelihood of still finding one?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2019

7858085D-0AB0-4FBC-8236-4EE895748215.jpeg
    Not impressed with it and 169 examples may not sell out very fast.

It’s a very large wearing watch and not for everyone.

Nobel Prize and Pun like this.
  3. Furioso May 29, 2019

Yeah. I appreciate you commenting. Sort of hard to get too excited over the thought of purchasing any modern Tag Heuer (for me - to each their own, of course)...would be interesting to hear how/ why somebody would buy. Can imagine doing so, for reasons in my original post. Anybody have substantial info about the calibre 11 movement? I looked it up too long ago to recall, might do it again, but add'l info beyond basics interests me - personal experience with it over time, etc.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2019

Don’t get the Tag Heuer snobbery sometimes as this model is a classic to the brand like a Speedmaster is to Omega.
    I have the black dialed non chrono 35th anniversary. I bought for myself on my 35th :)
    Big wearing watch so not for everyone, but I still enjoy wearing it when I do.
    ( Will add it’s not a everyday watch in my opinion and a smaller wrist would have problems pulling it off )

Some people love them
    019B75BE-CE40-4EFF-B49C-94A7FA75CC68.jpeg

Nobel Prize, Pun, red crowned and 4 others like this.
  5. jsducote May 29, 2019

I love the look of it, just not on my wrist for this very reason.

But to the point of the thread, I don't like the LE. I'd rather have a blue-faced calibre 11 if I can't have an 1133B.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2019

I love the look too and want the PCA limited edition from a few years back. Black with a thin red stripe.

I’ve tried on at least 4 different sizes of the watch and none look good on my wrist. :(

@STANDY nice piece! My wrists are 7.25/.5 and square. It just sits to tall on my wrist.

7. Furioso May 29, 2019

All good points. I quite like the color scheme, on its own merit, and comparatively, or as a potential future part of a rotation. I have a black dial datejust, imagine I'll eventually get an omega dark blue seamaster AT, and have a white dial (quartz) Seiko...of course I consider that I'm not in the 'I bought (anything in this price range) just because I liked the color' financial status, so thinking of gifting it to somebody who will try enjoy every aspect of it- the racing connection, lefty crown, color scheme, novelty of square, leather strap, color scheme, and that it was a nice gift from his only living son, who would likely enjoy the heritage bit of it eventually, I suppose I'm trying to talk me into it...asked a local dealer to try to source one, try and see it in person...try to weigh pros and cons fully beforehand...also, would have a $2k discount with this dealer - too long and boring a story to tell here, but discount expires soon, and there's life else I could or would use it on - no other watches of note, particularly.

8. Furioso May 29, 2019

Standy... that's quite a compilation of models there...a couple neato finishes that caught my eye, particularly the copper-y gold-y items on left...seems there are a number of editions.

Any knowledge or insight re the movement? Seems it's a sw 300 base modernized caliber 11...?

9. ama98 May 29, 2019

Yes it seems like.
    TAG Heuer Calibre 11, based on Sellita SW-300 with Dubois-Depraz chronograph module - automatic - 30mm diameter – 28,800 vibrations/hour - 40h power reserve - 59 jewels - hours, minutes, seconds, date and chronograph

10. Braindrain May 29, 2019

Oh yes. Modern Cal 11 has nothing to do with the vintage (real) Cal 11.

Good and bad. Good in that getting vintage parts is close to unobtainium. Bad that it's not vintage.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2019

Was the first of the non chrono Monaco’s. ( a touch smaller as well IIRC like by 1mm or something ) but with 8inch wrists makes anything easy. The 35th came on alligator.
    BA07BD56-2D3E-43C7-8058-A487BC1122DB.jpeg

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-monaco-calibre-6-full-black/

Nobel Prize and Foo2rama like this.
  12. abrod520 May 30, 2019

Yes but Omega take care to put their watches together well, and use good movements. TAGs aren't very well made watches - ask me how I know.

Yup - bargain bin base movement, with a bargain bin chrono module stuck on it. Good on them for reversing the base module to get the left-hand crown, but that's really the only inspired touch on the modern Monaco.

13. axl911 May 30, 2019

Also heard that nobody like to service the DD chrono module, and that they normally just replace the module. Is that right?

14. Furioso Jun 11, 2019

There's one for sale. Asked around at dealers, maybe only 2 came to U.S. market. I'm thinking about it...any last words of input to help increase my confidence in my crazy thought to go for it...or give up the idea...andvgi back to the seamaster which is offered here at a reasonable price...by the same seller I bought from recently, great experience...

15. krh7 Jun 11, 2019

yes. it's a module stacked on top and rotated. they replace the whole thing.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 12, 2019

It’s only money, why not. You have obviously tried one of the same style on.
    I still like mine for the different case shape to break up the boring round once in a while ;)

stevec14 likes this.
  17. Gentle Ben Jun 12, 2019

I really love the classic look of the Monaco. I've been tempted in the passed, but their are too many other watches on my list ahead of it. Can definitely see the attraction.

18. Furioso Jun 12, 2019

Tried to act on it - sent some verifying info (redacted sensitive info), as I have a very recent profile on watch related fora and ebay...worked out something I was willing to act on, hit the button - not working...seller says contact ebay...seems legit, seller has long history , very positive on ebay, just seems again, like with my Omega - its just not meant to be.

19. Furioso Apr 15, 2020

Interested again...just can't get this watch out of my mind. There seems to be a couple for sale - Chrono24, private seller, and rattrapante.ch - anybody know if these are reputable sites?

20. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Apr 18, 2020

tag and heuer is a brand that seems to be all over the place. i will say some of their new classic vintage pieces are pretty sharp