Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Oct 6, 2016

I've really taken to 60's Heuers recently.

I aquired a lovely 7220 Camaro NT earlier in the year and a 3637S Carrera arrived today. I'd appreciate any comments/thoughts positive and negative as I'm very much a novice with these.

From what I think I know, it's an early 3647 first gen, with plain crown, narrow markers and no T on the dial (although I believe it's still tritium), powered by the V92. Serial is 61xxx, stamped between the lugs. Model 3647 isn't stamped between the lugs. This might have worn off, although I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that some 45's didn't have this stamp?

It's found its way to me via the grandson of the original owner. It's well dinged up but I believe unpolished and I think it'll come up lovely after service. Most of the blemishes are on the crystal not the dial. There ate some losses to the minute track on the rehaut and the crystal is cracked, which I've heard are a pig to find. At least one of the pushers is also wrong.

Have I missed something obvious and bought a dog?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
    jimmyd13, voere, ulackfocus and 6 others like this.
  2. LawBrk Oct 6, 2016

Pretty piece, I've just started to look into these more closely. Beautiful designs, Dibs!

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 6, 2016

well done. nice example should clean up well

4. abrod520 Oct 6, 2016

Serial number lines up with the no-T dial and lack of model number between the lugs. Also the big, unsigned crown.

(The 3647 was only available with the earlier-generation dial indices)

You're spot-on that this is an early example, probably dates to about early 1965, maybe even late 1964.

The case is in great condition, which is important with these. Pusher and crystal will indeed be difficult to find but you may have luck at the Chronotrader forum.

This one is still a :thumbsup: in my book!

Giff2577 and Davidt like this.
  5. Swissgmt1675 Oct 6, 2016

Beautiful Silver dial which indeed a restoration....

Wear it in good health!!!

A.

6. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Oct 6, 2016

I just picked one up last week... I am happy that I went to heuer and not Rolex but the day will likely come, nice piece... new crystal and maybe a service and you are golden... IMG_0061.JPG

Darlinboy, Swissgmt1675, alam and 5 others like this.
  7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 6, 2016

I would personally have it re-lumed/restored by Abel Court or Craig at Chronodeco. Nice warm-toned lume markers would really make that dial pop. Originality counts to a certain extent, but this is a situation where, in my humble opinion, a subtle restoration would turn it into an outstanding piece. Cheers!

8. Davidt Oct 6, 2016

Cheers gents.

The case definitely has its fair share of scratches and dings but it looks pretty much unpolished, so will certainly be staying as it is. As for the dial, Rob I know where you're coming from. The lume is certainly more of the mouldy green variety than the nice yellow kind. I'm reluctant to change it as it is original, but I can't disagree, a good relume would bring the dial out more.

I'd have problems getting it to Abel Court or Chronodeco as I believe they're both in the U.S. and I'm in the UK. Our customs are extremely keen and there's a reasonable chance I'd get stung with import duty when the watch was sent back to me, which is why I tend to get my pieces serviced in the UK.

That brings me into another problem though as I need at least one pusher (ideally two) and a new crystal. Are there any generic ones available or do I need Heuer? Can Abel source these if I could get it to him?

9. abrod520 Oct 6, 2016

Abel is in Belgium, so that may or may not change your situation. He should be able to source pushers and a crystal, whether generic or Heuer (I'm not sure if there are generics)

Davidt likes this.
  10. Davidt Oct 6, 2016

Awesome! I presumed he was in the states.

I better get in touch before we get dragged out of the EU and need to pay customs here as well!

ewand likes this.
  11. abrod520 Oct 6, 2016

Do! That watch is worth the work IMO - it's very difficult for me not to buy every 2447 or 3647 I come across

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 6, 2016

Nice pick up David. I like the two register dials. I'd probably clean it up an wear it a bit before deciding on relume or not... I kinda dig it with the blackened lume dots and the black subdial hands.

13. gophishin Oct 7, 2016

Nice find! Looks good and honest overall, I have a 3647N with a 604xx serial that Mark Moss helped me date to late '65. Yours has to be one of the latest SWISS only dials I've seen. As has been said, this watch should have a large unsigned crown and no reference number between the upper lugs, so you're good there.

Davidt likes this.
  14. Davidt Oct 12, 2016

Thanks to all who commented. I was reasonably confident it was correct but great to get confirmation.

It immediately looks better with a quick crystal polish and it's now away for a service.

image.jpg
    marturx, ulackfocus, Giff2577 and 4 others like this.
  15. speedmaster971 Oct 20, 2016

Very nice watch. I had one and is very beautiful on the wrist with a black racing perforated band.

khmt2 likes this.
  16. Swissgmt1675 Oct 20, 2016

Those vintage carrera are just killer watches...And still undervalued..Simple and so niiiiice...:rolleyes:

17. ewand Oct 31, 2016

Looks like a good example - is there a T above the Swiss?

18. ulackfocus Oct 31, 2016

NFW. :thumbsup:

I ::love:: clean & classic 2 register chronographs.

19. Davidt Oct 31, 2016

Nope. The early 3647 Carreras, like the 2447's, we're just marked SWISS. I believe the general consensus is that they are still tritium, they just precede the legislation making the 'T' marking a requirement.

20. vadimo Nov 3, 2016

What kind of price range you looking at buying this second hand ? I am in UK