Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 22, 2015

Hi,
    A friend of mine has a bunch of old watches from his late Grandfather's collection. He knows nothing about them. Apparently there are Omegas there but he doesn't have them to hand yet...

Anyway, he knows I like watches and he has no idea about them at all. I'd probably be able to have a fair stab when he shows me the Omegas, but this lot not so much.

The bag he showed me had 1 Oris, 1 Rotary, 2 Lancos, 1 Seiko ladies and 1 Buren. It also had a Heuer Autavia, which I thought would be of the most interest here (correct me if I'm wrong: I know nothing about the others either).

Anyway, these are my iPhone pics under office lighting. Have no way of opening the caseback at the moment. The chrono resets to 4. I assume that's not right. It does tick along though, as does the second hand. The subdials don't reset to 12 either.

So anyway, like I said I know nothing. I've only just seen the watch so haven't begun any research yet either, other than tapping up this fine forum. Any info would be appreciated. Or sources where I can find it.

Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 22, 2015

Tiny Iota likes this.
  3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 22, 2015

Wow. Lots of info. Should probably wait till I'm not at work ;-). Thanks for your help

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 22, 2015

Just noticed two numbers on the side between each set of lugs. First is 2446 (which makes sense now) and the other is 109010, which I think must be the serial number according to the link above (mods, feel free to "x" that out if it's not proper to post full numbers)

5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 22, 2015

Apologise for the 3-in-a-row post, but anyone have a recommendation for a service for this in the UK? I assume the chrono not setting to 12 is a problem.

6. gophishin Jun 22, 2015

That appears to be an early model of the "snap back" or "compressor case" 2446C Autavias, http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chr...nual--Snap-Back_Case/c.Reference_2446C_Early/

You're also correct that the chrono hand should not reset to the 4 o'clock position but rather the 12 o'clock position, as should the registers at 3 and 6. I am not extremely well versed in Autavias, nor the UK, but you might want to try Abel at http://heuertime.com/index.php?lang=eng&p=about or Nic Green at http://chronomatic.com/workshop.html for starters. The watch uses a Valjoux 72 movement, so there are probably many other service options as well. Unless of course you want to consider sending it my way for a song...

7. E-diddy Jun 22, 2015

What kind of info are you looking for? looks like 2446C snap-back case. i like this reference, though this one looks a bit tired. crystal looks cracked. dial & hands have no lume left. registers look discolored (maybe picture shadows). I would want to check the movement for rust.

8. redpcar Jun 22, 2015

Let's see the Lancos and Buren. Make sure they are not of the military variety.

9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 23, 2015

Thanks all.
    Haven't got good photos of the Lancos or the Buren at the moment. The latter is a ladies watch though, so unlikely to be military.
    By the way, he thinks his grandad had another Heuer somewhere so he's in the process of looking through his drawers!

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 23, 2015

@stefan is a well regarded watchmaker in the UK. He might be able to help.

11. michaelmc Jul 8, 2015

Nice watch, they wear very well on strap or bracelet. Classic design. Shop around for a good watchmaker as this should not cost a fortune to service. m