Forums Latest Members
  1. Riviera Paradise Jan 18, 2017

For those of you considering an Autavia reissue as alternative to the #ST, Hodinkee posted on their SIHH Live page the following shot of an updated version of the Autavia prototype with a steel bracelet. Although they have corrected the date it looks unbalanced to me. @SpeedyTuesday wins hands down IMO.:thumbsup:
    AUTAVIA WITH BRACELET.png

bristnj and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  2. Scepticalist Jan 18, 2017

Such a shame - I assume it's 42mm? If so it may be that the bezel is fat so that the date and subdials remain balanced due to the movement size. If they slimmed the case down by 1-2mm and took that off the bezel it would be perfect.

Of course it may be beter in the flesh so I'll reserve my final decision.

bristnj and demollo like this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Jan 18, 2017

Yes 42mm. I think it will look better on the vintage leather strap. This steel bracelet makes it look even larger and blingy (Breitlingnesque came to mind:))

4. abrod520 Jan 18, 2017

Yeah, still looks too fat and big, like an original Autavia that let itself go (or ran into some thyroid issues as it aged). The beads of rice style bracelet is a pretty cool touch though. Will still make a trip to try one on

watchknut likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2017

Your not making this speedmaster post a heuer thread are you. :whipped:
    :D:D:D

6. abrod520 Jan 19, 2017

Hey, is this another Heuer thread? It is! Imagine that!

Riviera Paradise, LawBrk and oddboy like this.
  7. Maganator Jan 19, 2017

It would have looked better with the sweeping chrono hand being the same aged colour as the lume/hour minute hands.

Nice looking watch but doesn't get the juices flowing for me - well, not from that picture anyway.

8. kurtj29 Jan 19, 2017

How is it unbalanced? Not a big fan of the watch but looks pretty good. I assume the bezel moves?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2017

Yes it is a GMT bezel.

10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 19, 2017

too fat...looks as if it put on the "freshman 15" from the original concept

11. sgtpry Jan 19, 2017

To fix it:
    - make both no date and date version (to keep date window department team's job)
    - make "mid size" 38mm version and this 42mm version (to keep 42mm department team's job)
    - narrower bezel, just fire the entire wide bezel team there :D
    - keep the Double Grain BoR team, fantastic work

12. bristnj Jan 22, 2017

As far as re-issues go, I think that Tag did a decent job. For what it is, it's a nice representation of the originals. I think it will be priced around $4500. Proportionally, given its 42mm size, most of the elements work together without looking forced, like the Zenith Cairelli re-issue IMHO. The Zenith subs are much too close due to movement size. The "hidden" date works, and does offer a level of functionality to help modernize. The one issue I have, and agree with many on, is the size of the bezel. It is larger that necessary. If the watch had been done at 40mm, personally I think that would have been about perfect. All that being said, I am quite sure it will do very well when it hits the market later this year. For those who want vintage Autavia, but don't want to drop $15K-$50K, this reissue will offer a nice opportunity to strap one on your wrist. While I don't think I would but new, who knows in a few years after deprecation, maybe I'll pick one up and try it.

Edited Jan 22, 2017
  13. Riviera Paradise Jan 22, 2017

Sorry @STANDY and @abrod520 for "highjacking" the SpeedyTuesday thread, but I was getting bored with the reservation process discussion and some posters had mentioned the Autavia reissue as an alternative to the ST. I do love a watch/brand comparison thread, much to the annoyance of a few OF members:p:D

Thanks to the anonymous mod who kindly created a new thread on the Heuer, reducing my workload:)

Edited Jan 22, 2017
    STANDY likes this.