Forums Latest Members

Heuer 844 Something doesn't add up

1. Mr Bing May 7, 2016

I've got a keen interest in the watch below. From what I understand this model was made in France and, as such, should say so at the bottom of the dial.

I know that production of later models was switched to Switzerland and 'Swiss Made' was added to the dial. I've been researching this watch for the last couple of hours and I cannot find this dial anywhere.

The only examples I can find say 'Made in France'. I'm not too sure I'm explaining this very well but the 'Swiss Made' on this dial seems wrong and I don't want to throw my hard earned at something that isn't legit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

image.png

2. Uniqez May 7, 2016

Is that me, or they've spelled professionnelle with D instead of O?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

stiofan likes this.
  3. Uniqez May 7, 2016

Also, looks like the dial, hands and the crystal are brand new compare to the case.

4. Mr Bing May 7, 2016

5. Uniqez May 7, 2016

Here is something to compare with...
    Almost doubled the price, of the one you found.

uploadfromtaptalk1462666514813.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1462666520036.png

6. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 7, 2016

I would steer clear as it looks very odd. The Monnin dial should say made in France. The seller mentions the case is a Monnin yet they do not show the inside of the case back. The hands look new, the dial looks fake and new and The edge of the bezel looks wrong too. The lume looks white and flat or printed and not puffy and yellow. The case back also states Swiss Made. It looks like a regular 844 with a fake dial. That strap is something else. Did they take decals from a scale model racecar and applie them to it? Decal on the inside and strap keepers on backwards?

Uniqez likes this.
  7. bristnj May 7, 2016

Fake. The 24 hour dial was only used by G.Monnin who made the Heuer 844 for one year in 1979. The "Professionel" is also correct, and is French. The movement should be an FE4611A. No "Monnin" Swiss dials. Plus everything is out of proportion. Sometime you do see the original 844 with Mercedes hands, but they have most likely been replaced as originals were cathedral. Not a deal breaker on an actual Monnin. The one you are showing is a Frankin and dial is not original.

Here is my 844. Crusty, and very well used, but I love wearing it.

[​IMG]

Edited May 8, 2016
    Mr Bing and xgeryx like this.
  8. xgeryx May 8, 2016

Yep it's a franken.

It's very disappointing though that now we have frankens sold in Europe too. I thought it was an Asia thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited May 8, 2016
  9. Mr Bing May 8, 2016

Thanks for all the replies. I thought something was off, hence the reason for the thread.

Another one to avoid then. :(

bristnj likes this.
  10. Uniqez May 8, 2016

Looks like dishonest people are trying to take advantage of vintage watch lovers across the globe.