Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Don't have any polywatch on hand and my speedy crystal was a mess when it arrived, so I got stuck into it with some toothpaste and a few cloths, microfiber didn't work well so I switched to Victoria's Secret knickers (unused) which were pure cotton, my thumbs are almost worn out at this point but I'm about 90% there, question I had is, does Polywatch work that much better than toothpaste, and is there a better type of cloth to be using?

Also I found that really hard pressure with a lot of heat from the friction did the best job, is that typically the case?

Als 27, bhove, Giff2577 and 1 other person like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Yes polywatch is better. 2. using toothpaste add some water, faster and better. 2. Heat can burn and distort crystal, caution.

pvdjunior and Mad Dog like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

This is just the heat my thumb and a pair of panties can create so probably 50C or so lol

Good to know, thanks!

I can't believe how well just the toothpaste did, some of them were really deep and you can still see the remnants of the scratch but they're almost completely gone.

Giff2577 and Traveler like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Yes I bet your thumb can create quite a bit of heat with a pair of panties. :whistling:

5. bob martian Aug 23, 2012

Polywatch is much better than toothpaste. I used the toothpaster forever, I could of saved myself so much trouble if I had tried polywatch sooner.

SgWatchBaron and travisrock like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Just ordered a tube and cloth off eBay UK, I'll see how it goes

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

You don't get a lot, the 2 for one packages are better to get. You always want to have a spare any.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Hmm ok what about the ones from China, its like $5 shipped from China for a tube :\

9. bob martian Aug 23, 2012

the tubes are very small. but you only use a drop at a time until you done. You want to buff with a soft cloth. I used an old shirt, but if you prefer some panties I completely understand.

kkt, Als 27, Virgil Grissom and 4 others like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

I purely chose them because they were handy, I had no preference one way or the other lol

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

Hey, if you've got no preference we're completely OK with that. This is an open forum. :thumbsup:

rbob99, kkt, Als 27 and 3 others like this.
  12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

I use this stuff called Novus plastic polish, it works pretty well. Jeweler Rouge clothes work well for the cases.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

I use autosol metal polish with microfiber cloth - much, much cheaper than polywatch and works just as well if not better.

Bumper, marco, SgWatchBaron and 2 others like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 23, 2012

I use cotton Q-tips to apply the Polywatch. I suppose they would work for toothpase as well.

Also try buying a 4-way nail buffing bar at a beauty supply for $2-$3. You can start with the heavier grit, polish back to clear, then work up to the finer stuff. By the time you get to the finest grit, you'll have a clean, smooth crystal.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  15. guelerct Jun 22, 2015

[​IMG]
    Just tried this stuff out
    It blows Polywatch away and was much cheaper
    My hesalite never looked so good. Well maybe when it was new in box...

Matt87, IDXM, SgWatchBaron and 2 others like this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 22, 2015

Is it ever necessary to remove the bezel when polishing a Speedmaster crystal?

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  17. Traveler Jun 22, 2015

Just ordered a kit ... Now all I need is a pair of Victoria Secrets panties...

kkt, Als 27, Kathmandu! and 2 others like this.
  18. redpcar Jun 22, 2015

You are working with an abrasive with the goal of removing a very fine layer from the bezel. I remove them whenever possible. The exception would be if you think damage will occur by popping it off.

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 22, 2015

I wonder how Plexus would work. Back in the day when I was a U.S. Navy helicopter pilot, Plexus worked wonders on our clear plastic and tinted plastic visors contained in our helmets.

image.jpg

Edited Jun 22, 2015
    Virgil Grissom and CTS-V like this.
  20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 22, 2015

Novus is the best you can get. I use the heavy scratch remover if necessary followed by the fine scratch remover. Truly a case where too much polish is a detriment.

I use 2-1/2 cotton flannel gun cleaning patches. One with the heavy (if you need it), one with the fine, and one clean one at the end. Then I usually use the soap and water to make sure all is clean.

There is no need to remove a bezel because you're only using a little bit. If you're confused on this, as in how much is "a little bit", I will be happy to take a picture.

Tom

CTS-V and Brendon like this.