Forums Latest Members

Hesalite or Sapphire - New Speedmaster

1. scv55 Jan 9, 2021

First time buyer should go Hesalite. If you've already got a Speedy I think its the perfect opportunity to get something new; bracelet, sapphire, logo, & display back of that new movement!

gnuyork, hansmaulwurf and lexieb007 like this.
  2. Kim Jan 9, 2021

MY only thought process was (with my recent purchase): will it be a daily wearer or at least in a regular rotation? Yes > sapphire.

3. Hands90 Jan 9, 2021

If the it can survive going to the moon and Nasa testing it's good enough for my very boring life.

gnuyork likes this.
  4. scv55 Jan 9, 2021

Yeah I daily wore my hesalite -76 for nearly 4 years and polished it only a few times. I didn't worry about it getting destroyed, and even if there was a big ding put into it I imagine its fairly inexpensive to replace.

Hands90 likes this.
  5. Omega-Q Jan 9, 2021

I went and saw hesalite side-by-side with the 1861 hesalite. I think I am going to go sapphire. It just didn't quite do it for me....

Malum and hansmaulwurf like this.
  6. Caliber561 Jan 10, 2021

I know what my answer is:

Black-polished screws:
    DSC_1010 (3).JPG
    Gratuitous wheel shot:
    DSC_1048 (2).JPG
    Finishing around the shuttle+cam:
    DSC_1050 (2).JPG

That said, I do own a vintage Speedmaster, so the hesalite box has already been checked off.

Kim, SSGMT, scv55 and 1 other person like this.
  7. storm$time May 7, 2021

Interesting to see how the halo ring appears on the hesalite at certain angle.

Omega-Speedmaster-Moonwatch-2021_002(hesalite_on_the_left).jpg
    rominvicta and Eve like this.
  8. AAMD11 May 8, 2021

For me I’d go for the sapphire. Mainly because I love display case backs and this movement is gorgeous. I also love the applied logo, gives it a premium feel to it. Lastly, sapphire is sapphire, I don’t particularly care for scratches on the crystal, drives me nuts.

storm$time likes this.
  9. Glederz May 8, 2021

Team Hesalite 3861

6E2CFAD2-4C7A-417D-8C59-61D5C9F022D6.jpeg
    http410, mikekchc, rominvicta and 3 others like this.
  10. DrPepper Jun 6, 2021

I went for the Hesalite and now wore it for one week. My reasons were simple to choose this version: cheaper, close to historic version (went for nylon strap as well), I like the optics much more than the Saphire.

However, since 2 days or so I struggle a bit with the decision, due having found the first micro scratches. For sure they are hard to see even in direct light and only if you light the hesalite from the side and look on the outer shape.
    Still I did not expect it to be this sensible. I know, polishing out is possible. But I would have expected that is something one should do more every half a year or so, as scratches may happen over such a time. It’s a bit a bummer.

My hint for everyone deciding, don’t be to sensible over scratching or go for the saphire. Otherwise you will continuously worry (like I am now).

11. MTROIS Jun 6, 2021

The first "scratches" are usually the more difficult ones to digest... but remember, you are making it YOUR watch!!
    Would you prefer to leave it in the box for the next person to enjoy?

And even if you picked up the sapphire model, at some point you will also be scratching the case, the bezel... and then what? Will you also put a silicon case around it???

Just enjoy it. Life is way too short...

12. Duckie Jun 6, 2021

I've been wearing my Hesalite since late 2018 and I'm finding it difficult to see any patina even though I often enjoy taking a little time looking the watch over:thumbsdown:

13. dcl_88 Jun 7, 2021

I had the hesalite 1861, and purchased the sapphire 3861.
    My 2 cents:
    1861 should be bought hesalite as it’s more chunky and tool-ish, so if you ever need to take a trip to space…
    3861 should be bought as sapphire because the updates - tapering bracelet, makes it look more like a luxury watch than a tool watch. Sapphire kind of completes the whole package

The display case back needs some getting used to though- it does stick to the skin a little, at least for me

Edited Jun 7, 2021
    storm$time and MTROIS like this.
  14. DrPepper Jun 7, 2021

Hi MTROIS,

when thinking about it, I guess you're quite right with your saying. Since this is my first luxury watch, I think the first days are just uncomfortable with this having already scratches, even if they are nearly unnoticable.
    But as you said, I would not enjoy it if letting it rot in a display cabinet at home or something. These things are made to be worn and enjoyed along your life time and to maybe remember the event for what you have gifted it to yourself. That said, scratches and small indentations will inevitably come from wearing it during life happening, which will of course reflect itself on the watch and the fact that it has been worn.

Maybe some other points that I still strongly feel to go towards the Hesalite/Nylon:
    For me this version of all optione preserves the toolish character best of what the main intention of this watch once was.
    It was never supposed to be a blingy object or a luxury watch, but a robust tool to measure time and distance (even in space and/or under severe environmental influences).
    And still if i would have liked to see this gorgous calibre with the big display case back, it would not have felt for me to be something an astronaut or someone else using it as a tool would have worn or could have appreciated. And the engraving of the solid case back has a history of its one, which is in my opinion more fitting to the overall iconic object in history this watch represents.

In general, I think customers have to like / appreciate that Omega still offers this small but dedicated options for us, so that everyone can choose for him/herself what its best to like.

Cheers fellows!

MTROIS likes this.
  15. Adskee Aug 11, 2021

Wanted to add my thoughts here as these forums have been useful for me as I’ve gone back and forth over the last week or so, trying to decide between Hesalite and Sapphire. In point of fact, I wanted the Sapphire as soon as I saw it, I think I was using the forums to try to find evidence to justify my decision.

So I previously had the 40th Anniversary edition with Hesalite crystal. I loved the history and the authenticity of the original watch as worn by the first astronauts. And for sure, the Hesalite still looks amazing. All other things being equal, I would likely take a Hesalite crystal.

But, they’re not equal. I love the applied logo, love the polished links in the bracelet and that back is just amazing. I think it goes back to my fascination with seeing the intricate mechanism of see-through watches when I was a kid, but being able to gaze at such a complex and beautiful mechanism – even if it’s only every so often, and even if it wasn’t on the first watches – is a big plus. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that it’s also scratch resistant, but Hesalite can be easily buffed out. I do remember getting scratches on my Hesalite and it did annoy me, but that’s not a deal breaker. And I’m certainly not concerned about the cost of replacing the Sapphire if it smashes. Anyone who buys a £6k watch and doesn’t insure it, can afford to pay for a replacement crystal. I just picked up insurance for £88 for a year.

Now to the authenticity. For this watch, with a new movement and a lot of new parts, whilst it’s great to have a moonwatch as close as possible to the original, for me, enough of the parts are new that I can justify the switch to Sapphire. This watch carries the heritage and tradition of the original moonwatch, but with an updated, modern twist.

I picked my watch up yesterday and am in love with it. Hesalite definitely has a +1 in terms of looks over the Sapphire, and if they did a Hesalite sandwich, I would probably have gone for it. The ring is less prominent than I’ve seen on the older models, and is more or less prominent in certain lights and situations. I also think the edges are more rounded so the shape is not jarring as it once was. But it definitely is a different look to the Hesalite. However, with the applied logo, the polished links, the see-through back and the scratch resistance, it’s +1, +1, +1, +1. That’s a lot of pluses.

One final thing. Whilst gazing at the watch this morning, I decided that it doesn’t actually have a “milky ring” at all. What it has, in fact, is a “halo”. And guess what, suddenly I love it .

You’ll never be unhappy with a Hesalite version, but if you’re yearning for the extra touches on the Sapphire, I say go for it.

16. mjb Aug 11, 2021

And this is really all that matters. Congratulations and enjoy it!

rominvicta, marcn and Adskee like this.
  17. Adskee Aug 11, 2021

You're not wrong there!

18. llvhhui Aug 11, 2021

Hesalite for me. Just got one a few weeks ago.

rominvicta likes this.
  19. Texans93 Aug 11, 2021

Another vote for hesalite…

DACC105C-2D98-4043-A570-5C771A2F328F.jpeg
  20. Texans93 Aug 11, 2021

Love the strap! Details?