Forums Latest Members

OHPF Hermes/ Omega Marine Standard, circa 1930's, boxed and immaculate

1. Tom Dick and Harry Jun 19, 2015

Morning all

Again another sale with a heavy heart but I am having to sell some watches at the moment to fund something very important for my wife and I and as such this little beauty needs to go.

Heremes 2.jpg

It is a very rare Hermes branded Marine Standard, which was most famously made by Omega. This was Omegas second incarnation of the divers watch, produced by Omega, Hermes and JLC. The watch is in incredibly time warp condition as you can see from the images.

Heremes 4.jpg
    The case it three part, the inner divers case is held in place by case clamps on the outer case, it really is a work of art in the way it is designed and made and a real triumph of technology.The case is in outstanding original condition, there are a few light marks (most noticeable at 6 o'clock on the outer case) but there is no corrosion or repair damage and the inner case is also in remarkable original condition.

Heremes 5.jpg
    The dial and hands are original and really are the stand out items on the watch, the sunburst gold tone dial is beautiful and original and the hands compliment it extremely well. The watch isn't serviced but is running very strongly, although it does stick occasionally at 6:45 but continues with a light tap, this is only an intermittent issue.

Hermes 1.jpg
    The watch is a very wearable size as you can see from the images, it is larger than the original Omega Marine and wears beautifully. The watch is fitted with a NOS period grey eel skin band (very close to the original seal skin 1930's band) and original period Omega buckle. It is also complimented by the original Omega Marine Standard box

Hermes 3.jpg

TBH I don't think there is a more complete or lovely set out there.

Hermes.jpg

I am looking for a really quick sale if possible so asking £650 shipped

Heremes 6.jpg
    Payment via BT or PP gift (or you cover the fees)

Thanks Tom

Hermes 7.jpg
    Edited Jun 19, 2015
  2. Dedalus Jun 19, 2015

That really is stunning. ::love::
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but was this made by Omega for Hermes, but is only signed by the retailer. So is it essentially an Omega movement, case and dial but unstamped. I'm assuming it would have been retailed in Hermes packaging (though that period-correct Omega box is very cool as well). Sorry for the long-winded question. It really is a stunner. GLWS

3. Tom Dick and Harry Jun 19, 2015

Hi Dedalus

Thanks for the post, I believe that omega made all of the cases etc and in most cases managed the manufacture of these watches for the retailers! The movement was originally T17 and I have seen one other Hermes one with a T17, Hermes also used this movement as fitted which they most likely made up as kits with cases etc provided by omega

From what I have read it is essentially an omega but as with the first marine others sold them produced by omega HR branded as their own (Cartier and tissot etc)

Hope this helps

Thanks Tom

JohnSteed and Dedalus like this.
  4. tomvox1 Jun 19, 2015

Hi Tom,
    That is a fantastic Hermes tank at a killer price.
    However I'm not so sure about the connection to Omega.
    Aside from the lack of identifying hallmarks I believe that movement is an ETA ebauche, specifically cal. 735:
    HeremesTank-Move.jpg [​IMG]
    Sources: http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/movements/e/eta/eta_735.php?l=en
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?13&ranfft&102&2uswk&Silvana_7775
    I would be quite surprised if Omega was outsourcing their movements at this period in time.
    Perhaps it is simply a bespoke Hermes piece, as could be indicated by the unique "711" caliber number and extra deluxe improvements such as shock resistance & a-mag hairspring?
    Happy to be proven wrong, though, and best of luck with your sale--either way that is a wonderful piece at a bargain price!
    Tom

5. Tom Dick and Harry Jun 19, 2015

Thanks Tom

I've done some reading on this and I believe (although would happily stand corrected) that omega owned the patent on the marine and the marine standard

Omega made some watches for other manufacturers, I have seen a Hermes marine standard with a T17 movement (although it could of course been an omega with a later Hermes dial replacement). This is indeed a ebauche movement by the looks of it but I believe omega supplied the casing kits etc for these marine standards.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, hoping it moves as its a lovely piece and I hate not seeing it being worn

Cheers Tom

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. tomvox1 Jun 19, 2015

That makes sense that Omega would have provided the patented case to Hermes and then Hermes fitted it with their own choice of movement.
    Such a cool watch and I see it's already off to a new home saving me any further temptation -- congrats to the new owner! :thumbsup:
    Best,
    T.

JohnSteed likes this.