Forums Latest Members

Here is the finished LE Frankenpanda.

1. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 28, 2012

panda3 012.JPG I've mentioned this project a couple of times, and here it is ready to be worn. The watch was a nice cal 861 145.022 st 69, orig. dial safely stored. There is no fear it can ever be confused for the LE watch because it has the 69 case back. I fear my other watches are going to get a lot less wear time now that I have this sexy beast.

panda3 015.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

Looks good. Funny that the dial say 1969 and that's what year the rest of the watch was made.

Send me one of the less fortunate. I'll give it a little attention and see if I can tolerate a Speedy Pro.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

Another option is this plain panda dial on sale from Watchco Australia.

$(KGrHqJ,!lIE9RwIs19oBPV+ulDUD!~~60_12.JPG

4. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 28, 2012

I like that panda w/out the date, too, but the price was a hundred more...and I kinda liked the date. Either way, it would not be the real deal, so I went with what I liked most. Both are great-looking dials. Dennis, I'm shipping a watch for you Monday....hold your breath. And Ash, I'm so new here I don't know anything about this operation, but I think it's your site, right? If so, I have to note that the posting of photos, avatars, editing, searching...pretty much everything about your site is superior to any forum I've seen/been kicked out of, and I've been kicked out of several. I know...it's very hard to believe that, but it's true. My compliments to the software guy, whoever he is.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

Mmm, bucking to get that "Invicta Enthusiast" removed, eh? :whistling:

Well, sucking up well get you everywhere here. :p

6. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 28, 2012

I actually hadn't considered having it removed. I kinda like it. You'll find that I am not terribly loose with compliments, and if I express one, it is sincere. I'm having an idea for a new thread.

7. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

We should compare bannings. WUS has booted me at least a dozen times and TZ 3 or 4 times. Some people have no sense of humor!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

HAHA I had no idea TZ had booted you as well, what was the story on that one?

9. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

It was so long ago I don't remember all the details. Short version was that Stan Sirody and Khalil Sheik were sarcastic assholes so I called them on the carpet about their attitudes. Of course they deleted the posts so I ended up arguing with Michael Sandler who's even more arrogant. End result is a ban because you don't win an argument with a fascist dictator.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

The site was started by myself and Trev in March 2011, mainly as a reaction to some very bad practices on a couple of other forums in which Rolex fanboys in particular (And I'm not talking guys that own Ref 1675 GMTs and Zenith Daytonas, but rather the ones that own a TT Datejust with an aftermarket diamond bezel and brag about their "swag" and make comments like "But a Patek just ain't a Rollie' yo") were absolutely bagging and running down Omega owners with the full consent of forum operators

We felt there was some severe fracturing of the Omega enthusiasts online with most of them in separate forums and having a unified place, without a lot of the negative restrictions, and with no blatant in-your-face advertising from third tier rubbish watch companies was something we wanted to try. We also didn't like a lot of the forum designs and software out there. This site uses a completely custom Xenforo layout, which is a brand new type of forum software designed for 2011+. Trev is a very meticulous designer and as such has gone to tremendous lengths to customize the look and feel here to make it all fit (there are a few things left to do that we'll get around to eventually) but there are also some little touches, like if you click on a users name, the box that pops up is styled to pay homage to the current Omega warranty cards and so on.

The site doesn't really cost us a whole lot, I run a server engineering consulting business so I have capacity to spare, and even so, the cost to run this site is remarkably low due to how its been engineered, which is part of the reason we don't have banners and ads.

So yea if you like the place, by all means tell your mates :)

rbird7282 likes this.
  11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

Don't forget the blatantly irresponsible disregard for the security and information of members on other forums, too. There was a popular Rolex forum that had some very serious security issues, exposing a ton of their members to malware.

There's so many improvements I'd still like to add here, but unfortunately time is the limiting factor. Image thumbnails and polls in particular still look a bit sad at the moment. It will only get better. :)

12. Steve Jul 29, 2012

I'd just like to add, you're doing a great job, thanks guys :thumbsup:

Trev likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Jul 29, 2012

That explains why Patrick was allowed to join here. No screening program yet! :eek: :D

14. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 29, 2012

OUCH! But I tend to agree. Like Groucho Marx said, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

15. smithrjd Jul 29, 2012

I wonder what I could turn my 145.016 'Soccer Timer" into? Have seen several dials lately, but then again it would have the most important Seamaster Hippocampus on the rear cover...

16. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 29, 2012

Have to agree and add my voice to the accolades.

It is a well built site, but more than that, membership has reached a mass where there is some really good activity. I also like the breadth and depth of the conversations and it's refreshing to read and contribute to threads that go a little further than "What colour strap will I wear on my Bond?".

I Like the free-wheeling rules and other special features. Plus you have a curio rarely seen elswhere: Dennis, who, unless he decides to ban himself one day after one part of him has a Mexican stand-off with another part, will remain here to entertain and challenge us :taunt:;)

Cheers

Desmond

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2012

Thanks mate, always good having you guys around with the deeper vintage knowledge too!

18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 29, 2012

Thanks for the compliments guys. Glad you like this place :)

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2012

I'm here to slap him around for no good reason other then he needs to keep on his toes.

20. ulackfocus Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, both of me!