Forums Latest Members

HEN or EGG, that is the question? (no, not Shakespeare!)

1. mac_omega May 15, 2015

Hi team,

please be indulgent with me when I stroll a little outside the beaten track this time.

I thought I share a wonderful type of watch with you and compare it with the one which is so much coveted by many of you.

There is an IWC model called "De Luxe" which must have been a direct and strong competitor of the Constellation Grand Luxe at that time. It has also hooded lugs, an 18K solid gold dial and beautifully shaped gold markers.
    The whole appearance is not quite as "loud" as the Omega GL, it is more subtle, but you can see the quality and high craftsmanship in every detail.

comparison.jpg

Here is a detail of the dial markers and hands, so you can see what I mean. See the lapidated markers and the beautiful bevels on the edge of the hands.

dial_detail.jpg

Of course the stepped dial of the GL was definitely not to be beaten in direct comparison...

Here is an old AD showing 2 models, one with strap and the other with an 18K bracelet which is similar to the brick bracelet of Omega. Additionally there was a finely executed leather box which came with the luxury variant.

iwc_AD_de-luxe.jpg

Here is a detail of the bracelet and you can see the similarity.

IWC_bracelet.jpg

Unfortunately the AD does not show any date, so I can only guess, but I think it must have been around the same time as the Omega GL.
    So the question arises: which one was first and who was "inspired" by whom, Omega or IWC?

Here is a date version with a different gold bracelet

de_luxe_DATE.jpg

Obviously the case design with the hooded lugs was of great success and so popular that it was also used on a less spectacular (non de luxe) version with silvered dial

silver_DATE.jpg

And finally a movement shot... IWC used rhodium-plated movements of highest quality, all of them chronometer rated quality but not mentioned anywhere (neither on movement, nor on the dial).

IWC-853.jpg

These IWC de Luxe models show up very rarely, much rarer than all the GL and de luxe versions of the Constellation.

So everybody who can contribute to the question which watch had been released first will be very welcome.

enjoy

Erich

Edited May 15, 2015
  2. ulackfocus May 15, 2015

I'll take one of each:

Luxe.png

Do you gift wrap?

Matty01 and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. mac_omega May 15, 2015

Yes, of course, for friends I will do...

Matty01 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 15, 2015

Epic piece Erich, looks amazing

mac_omega likes this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2015

when they're this beautiful i don't really care if one designer was peaking through the lab of the other.

Matty01 likes this.
  6. wsfarrell May 15, 2015

The beveled hands on the IWC are pretty amazing.

7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 15, 2015

Great photo thread and with information too!

Thanks for posting it.

Love the IWC watch!

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 15, 2015

I like them both!

Tom