Forums Latest Members
  1. spark Nov 6, 2016

Hi all,
    Sorry my first post is a plead for help, but I guess that is how most of us find forums in the beginning.
    I have been collecting vintage watches for some years and thought I had grown out of buy now worry later, but it seems it can attack at any time when the heart over takes the head on impulse.
    I have owned a fair few Omega's of both modern & vintage models in the past & currently have a Vintage 600 Ploprof & Stardust dialled Mega Quartz in the stable along with other brands.
    I have fancied a broad arrow handed watch for some time, but can't really justify the stratospheric price of vintage Railmasters & Speedies, that is where this little treasure came in, but now I have the watch in hand I have some doubts.
    I came across it on a well respected vintage forum for another brand & thought I had bagged a winner.
    In the sellers pictures the dial looked great, but now I have it in hand although it is a great looking piece I have serious concerns to originality.
    The base dial looks very good with a nice even matt black finish that has a tropical brown hue in bright sunlight, which I didn't think could be faked (or perhaps hoped couldn't be faked), but I am no expert.
    The minute markers all look uniform SDC10077.JPG SDC10063.JPG Omega Broad Arrow Movement.jpg Omega Broad Arrow Case Back.jpg and the Seamaster scrypt looks good to me compared to others of the period as does the Swiss Made although now I realise it should most likely be Swiss <25 etc...
    This coupled with the Lume having the correct sort of reaction of Tritium this age in that it glows for a short time when exposed to very bright light made me think all was well to start with, however when I took some pictures myself in high res I noticed the Omega scrypt and especially Automatic with no dial visible through the apex of the A's started me thinking if not all the dial is redone at least some of it maybe.
    The case is in great condition & the Cal 550 movement looks brand new (all of which made me think with the sellers pictures the watch was good).
    So I am looking for help from you Omega experts who can hopefully put me straight with your encyclopaedic knowledge.
    Please be gentle with me.

Regards,

Mark.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 6, 2016

Have the seller send you a photo of the inside of the case back. The reference number found there will help you find most of the answers you seek.

3. spark Nov 6, 2016

Hi & thanks for replying.
    I have the reference it is a 165.002 Seamaster & searching 165.002 on Google sites like Chrono 24 only gives the usual generic myriad of dial configurations, but none showing this set up.
    Ranchero's are similar etc..
    That is why I posted here after searching quite extensively to just get some opinions from dedicated Omega collectors.
    I have my suspicions, but we all live in hope.

Mark.
    Omega Broad Arrow Case Back Inner.jpg

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 6, 2016

I think it's redialed.

The minute markers at either side of 12 look poorly spaced. The "A" in automatic looks too thick at the apex to show the inner space.

pezzodicento and efauser like this.
  5. spark Nov 7, 2016

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your thoughts.
    Would you say total re-dial or partial in your opinion?
    I was thinking partial as per my OP, but I guess I am living in hope more than anything.
    Other than the dial does anybody have any other thoughts Hands etc...
    I appreciate any other thoughts or observations.
    It is going to be a keeper as it was meant to be originally & now it owes me too much to off load it.
    Cheers,

Mark.

6. Willem023 Nov 7, 2016

First thing I noticed without even reading the text was 'oops, very thickly applied ink'.....
    looking closely, I might think that 'Omega' as well as 'Automatic' have been at least touched-up.

Overall: this looks too good to be true: hour markers exactly the colour of the hands, all pristine and clean, I'dd vote for 'complete redial', but willing to learn.
    Cal looks great though.

My2Ksh

7. spark Nov 9, 2016

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I appreciate all the help.

Mark.

8. cimo Nov 9, 2016

I agree with the above posters. The omega logo, omega text, and automatic, are indicative of a redial. The white ink is not as crisp as it should be.

The uniform coloring of the lume and dial is somewhat suspicious in combination with the redone ink. These railmaster and ranchero dials are some of the most ubiquitous styles you find on eBay and the like so I am particularly wary of them.

9. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2016

This is a typical redial. It's a basic model Seamaster from the 60's that a seller has redone to look like an SM300 with a repainted dial and Broad Arrow hands to fool n00bs into overpaying. If I had a quarter for each time I saw one of these, I might be able to buy out that dial refinishing place and instruct them never to do this shit again.

ps - tea or weak coffee in the luminous mix will give it that vintage look.

10. spark Nov 10, 2016

Thanks a lot guys.
    I thought I'd been around long enough to not get burned.
    Sellers pictures were set just right so you couldn't pick up any anomalies and as I picked it up on a Forum rather than eBay etc.. felt a bit safer.
    Never mind live & learn.
    It's been many years since I bought a stinker, so I'll take it on the chin.
    I would imagine it was sold on for the same reason to be fair to the seller.
    I was hoping that someone may have been happy with the dial in the main, but the signing was quite obviously poor.
    It is strange how the lower text is very good, but the Omega & Automatic is quite rough.

Mark.