Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchISeek Oct 9, 2018

Hello!

First post but hopefully the first of many. Very interested in picking up a vintage seamaster and found one that is unlike many others I’ve seen from the same era. It says the serial number is ‘17759763’ and pictures are attached. This is a classified ad so I don’t have any others to go on, but the numbers on the dial, coupled with the ‘waterproof’ marking on the back made me question it. Hoping the experts can help!

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 9, 2018

Welcome to the forum. It is hard to give you quality feedback because of the poor quality of the pictures. It is a real Omega. Is it gold? It has the wrong crown.

3. WatchISeek Oct 9, 2018

Appreciate the response. I know, the pictures are terrible. It’s clearly an older gentleman who has the watch and therefore wasn’t tech savvy enough to take any more for me. Watch isn’t in hand, so I can’t answer much.

It does say it’s a Seamaster De Ville which didn’t seem likely to me as I thought those were marked ‘DeVille’ on the watch face? Only other info is ‘17 jewel automatic’. Stated circa 1960 but the serial number indicates ‘59, right?

4. Rochete Oct 9, 2018

Seems legit bar the crown but with those pics... looks like it is gold-capped. Does it work? If the price is low I might take the plounge but this is not an advice, Im partial to these monocoque Seamasters.

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 9, 2018

Where does it say DeVille? I may be wrong but I do not think that style/reference is from 1959. If I am correct, the movement may have been switched out.

6. Rochete Oct 9, 2018

17xxxxxx serial would be 1960.

7. WatchISeek Oct 9, 2018

Says it works - this is a classified ad and the gentleman that owns it is about a 2 hour drive from me, so I was just hoping to get confirmation of it’s authenticity before seeing it in person. I love the look - and the price is right. Might have to just take the plunge.

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 9, 2018

price?

9. WatchISeek Oct 9, 2018

Sorry, the classified ad says it’s a DeVille. But I don’t see it on the watch anywhere. I used a guide I found online that said 17xxxxxx is a ‘59, but as the other poster and the ad mention, it may be a ‘60.

ETA - Price is $295

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 9, 2018

That is a good price, assuming the movement is good. If it is a gold cap, has the gold been worn through anywhere/. A service will cost a couple hundred $ at least. Is it a redial (van't tell from the pics) if so, much less valuable.
    Questions, questions,questions.

11. WatchISeek Oct 9, 2018

12. 1972Steve Oct 9, 2018

13. Slowpoker Oct 9, 2018

I would honestly pass on this watch, the photos aren't the best and the movement isn't shown. Who knows what's been done with the watch?

Even if the price is good, I wouldn't risk it. Plus it's on Craigslist so that doesn't make it much better.