Forums Latest Members
  1. tomatosauce Oct 6, 2017

Hi everyone! Could I get some expert opinions on this watch that a seller from these forums messaged me about? It will be a gift for a regular watch-lover, not an avid vintage collector or anything. Would this watch be easy to service if something were to need fixing? Does the description seem accurate? What would a reasonable asking price be? Thanks!

Seller description:

"The watch you're asking about is a Seamaster 166.0209 and dates to approximately 1978. The watch has been fully serviced. It has a nick in the case at about the 5.30 position and a small mark on the dial near the 3. There are some minor swirls on the case which are just the sort of thing you would see through normal wear. The movement is a 1020 automatic. The bracelet is very nice and one that is more usually seen on a Constellation rather than a Seamaster but it is original to the watch (the first owner must have asked for that). That bracelet has been refinished (ie. it originally had a brushed finish but over the years has been scratched. We took about 1 tenth of a millimetre off the bracelet bringing back that original finish). The watch would, as all these Seamasters do, look great on a leather strap. I don't have the watch on hand as it's in the store but from memory I think it is a 35mm case - that's on the larger side for a vintage Seamaster but not as large as modern versions."

Seller pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisN Oct 7, 2017

These are not too difficult to service and parts availability is good although some parts are expensive. It may be the photos but that particular movement is a little marked. Compare to the one I'm selling here. I know that is gold so not what you're looking for but, the calibre is the same, a 1020.

I don't know this exact model but dial and hands look original. The case is a little marked but not bad.

It all depends on how much they are asking....

Cheers, Chris