Forums Latest Members

Help with vintage redialed seamaster watch (San Francisco Help)

1. allenfangwiz Aug 17, 2012

Hey guys,

I just bought this watch like two weeks ago.... and then i went to an amusement park and my glass top fell.. (sorry i dont know the correct term for it). When it fell, one of the hands fell as well! Sometimes when i had the hands and the glass for it, the second hands would stop running.... so i may need to get that checked up too. Now i need to get it replaced and fixed.... anyone know a good place to get it redialed or fixed in San Francisco? Or any trustworthy websites i can send it to?

Or is it just not worth reviving? =(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

That looks like a fake Seamaster, and I believe that is the reason for all the problems with it. I would throw it away and start over.

3. alam Aug 17, 2012

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

It looks like a Ref. 2481or 2446, so if you decide to get it redialed you should get it redialed without the Seamaster. The redial that it has on now isn't an accurate one with the roman numerals. The hands also don't look correct, they should be daulphine hands. Sorry you had to go through this! By the time you factor in sourcing new hands, a redial, and a full service it's going to be more than what the watch is worth. :(

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/...tcDtzcD0wJmFtcDtzcD1GJmFtcDtzcD1UJmFtcDtzcD0w

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/...tcDtzcD0wJmFtcDtzcD1GJmFtcDtzcD1UJmFtcDtzcD0x

5. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

you should check the movement is marked Omega.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

You think it is real though? I mean look at the luminous dots on the dial, that have half fallen off, even the worst watchmaker can assemble a watch and not have the lume, hands, and crystal fall off...

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

The OP posted this watch before. It is not fake, but an old beat up 351 with a poor redial and apparently slapped together with a glued in crystal. A poor purchase but many starting out have succumbed to this fate. As stated many times, eBay is an unforgiving medium . :(
    I would try to return it or open a case with paypal if you can.

MKelley likes this.
  8. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

is it an India special? Paper dial?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Your next watch will be far better :)

MKelley likes this.
  10. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

don't be to hard on yourself. Ebay allows that junk to be sold

MKelley likes this.
  11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Looks like it to me. This was the description of the listing:

I bought this old Seamaster here of Ebay and never seem to wear it. Its a very cool piece and works great! Pretty amazing to have such a old watch look so new and work so well. Model: Omega Seamaster Dial: Refinished in Black Case: Steel Well Polished Crystal: Acrylic Diameter:Case is 30mm in diameter(Including Crown) and lug to lug 35mm Movement: Omega 17 Jewel Automatic(Self Winding) Function: Hours/Minutes/Seconds(No Date) Condition: Cleaned/Adjusted/Restored. Looks Great for its age! Machine Signed: Case/Back/Dial/Crown/Movement Band: New Black Leather Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail. Please check my feedback and let me know if you have any questions.

I would try contacting the seller first.

MKelley likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2012

eBay is the School of Hard Knocks for vintage watches. Do your homework and you might end up with an A like a couple members here who recently asked a lot of advice and ended up with a couple primo Constellations and Seamasters each. Go on impulse and....... well, see above.

13. allenfangwiz Aug 17, 2012

i dont think i can return it anymore because i lost the second hands for it and the glass part of it.... =/.

so the general consensus is just start over?... argh. i wanna try saving it so if anyone knows... itl lbe greatly appreciaited!

14. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

you can return the watch. It was described as working well.

MKelley likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Yes , and you can open a case with paypal, as it fell apart. Paypal/eBay, almost always sides with the purchaser in these cases. CALL them and see what they say.

MKelley likes this.
  16. allenfangwiz Aug 17, 2012

appreciate it guys! I already sent an email to the seller about what happened. And if he doesnt refund me, ill open a case with ebay/paypal.
    I want my money back so i can get a better watch! >=[

MKelley and bob martian like this.
  17. bob martian Aug 17, 2012

you have done everything right, the seller made the mistake

MKelley likes this.
  18. MKelley Aug 17, 2012

:thumbsup:

19. MKelley Aug 17, 2012

By joining this forum, you have begun to start over. Getting ebay/paypal to intervene & asking lots of questions on this forum, to help you select a replacement Omega, you'll be much happier...:thumbsup:

20. Bobs citizens Aug 18, 2012

If you live in San Francisco, I would bring it to Seregins. I have Paul there work on my Geneve did a great job. He does work on vintage watches.

Bob