Forums Latest Members
  1. MattAus May 26, 2014

Hi all - I am new to this forum and am seeking any help I can get regarding two Constellations I recently received as gifts.

The first I know the history of - an Omega Constellation f8192 solid gold quartz (Cal 191.0003) purchased by my father in July 1977 in Geneva at Les Ambassadeurs. I would appreciate any guidance on where I can read more about this watch, and, obviously, any information is gratefully received.

The other is a puzzle - my father says he was given this when he was around ten years old (which would place it at 1955) after a distant relative had died. Of course, there is always some wriggle room around the dates - it was some time ago - but I was wondering if you would be able to point me in the right direction to accurately define this watch?

Interestingly, my father maintains that the watch had been given to children as a plaything and had been used as a toy in their backyard games for some time before he received it. It has subsequently sat dormant in a cupboard until he gave it to me last month, complete with dirt encrusted around the crown. As I moved it I could hear the rotor swing and my watch repairer now informs me it ‘doesn’t need much work at all’.

Perhaps one of the better testaments to the build quality and craftsmanship of the Constellation?!

At some point someone has attempted to pull off the gold insert from the watch back and has left what will be a large crease through the observatory however I intend cleaning it up and maintaining its originality, spots and all. (The Electroquartz only needed a battery and seal change)

Thanks for any and all responses,

Matt

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. MattAus May 26, 2014

My apologies - my images did not load. Here is the Electroquartz - I will post the images of the older Constellation asap.

1828382.jpg
  3. MattAus May 26, 2014

Connie 1.jpg Connie 2.jpg Electroquartz.jpg Apologies for the mistakes - here they are

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 26, 2014

If this is a "bumper" automatic, where you can feel the rotor bumping against a stop inside the case, then the 1955 date would be correct. Here is the listing from the Omega vintage database for this watch:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14360

If it is a rotor automatic, where the rotor moves in a full circle and doesn't bump, then it was made a little bit later (1956-59). Here is the listing for this watch:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14966

Very hard to say much more from those tiny pictures. Dials on both these references are very similar.

There is more information about Omega Constellations here than anywhere else on the net:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. MattAus May 27, 2014

Thanks Gatorcpa - I'll look through those - and I'll also post larger photos next time! I think it is a rotor as it moved freely with no tell-tale 'bump' but I'll know more when the back is off and I've been able to take a few photos under the bonnet.
    Thanks again for your advice, cheers,
    Matt

6. MattAus Jun 17, 2014

Hi,
    The watches I am looking for detail on are still in the shop, but due out shortly.

The Electroquartz is working perfectly and is awaiting the arrival of specially-ordered strap with gold Omega buckle (the original was 'misplaced' by a jeweller some years ago).

The vintage Constellation is a Calibre 505, 2852 10 SC.

I have seen some history of the 505, but am a little confused about the 2852 10 SC designation. Anyone able to directly shed any light on what that means?

The watch itself is not far from complete repair - astounding thinking of the pounding it has had and the fact it has been left dormant for around four decades, maybe more.

I'll post good quality pictures as soon as I have the watches back in my hands, but thanks to all for looking and particularly Gatorcpa for advice.

Cheers
    Matt

7. John R Smith Jun 17, 2014

The 2852 is the Omega case reference number. The number 10 indicates that this is the tenth iteration or batch of these cases, and "SC" indicates that it has a center seconds hand (Secondes au Centre).

8. MattAus Jun 17, 2014

Magic - thank you very much - cheers

9. MattAus Jul 4, 2014

Some updated pics - (have already been taken to task for the use of the Nato strap!) IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3177.JPG IMG_3182.jpg IMG_3183.JPG