Forums Latest Members
  1. HagenM Feb 4, 2019

Hello all,
    I'm new to the forums as well as new to Omega watches and watch collecting in general. I came here hoping to find a little info on my watch that I couldn't find through google.

Heres the story, several months ago I picked up this old 'bumper' style omega for next to nothing (< $10). It was in great shape (as seen in the first picture). I took it to a local watchman to have a band adjusted and kind of got talked into paying a little over $200 (total including the band) to have the watch serviced, meaning a thorough cleaning, replacing the mainspring, etc. Since I've never had a watch of this quality, and they seem to be going anywhere from $200-$1200 I figured I might as well pay for the service as a preventive measure.

Unfortunately, after nearly 3 months of having to deal with this watch shop, I got it back with a cracked crystal, and damage to the dial. I was able to get $50 back but still payed over $150 for a watch in worse condition then when I took it. (Notice the last two pictures).

Anyways, my questions were
    1) what is the model of this watch if anyone knows, (i've gathered its most likely late 40s-early 50s and maybe a 351 caliper)
    2) Is it expected to have something like this happen being it is such an old watch, if not should I try and have them refund the full cost of the labor (I dont mind paying for the parts)
    3) how much if any, does a damaged dial (notice the lighter spot near the 2 o'clock marker, another spot is hidden under the minute hand) and replaced crystal effect the value? They offered to have the dial refinished but I was so tired of dealing with them I said nevermind.

FullSizeRender.jpg 0.jpg 0-1.jpg
  2. Hamish02 Feb 4, 2019

That’s not cool is it. Personally I would be trying to get my money back. Did they try to clean the dial?

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 4, 2019

The information you need is inside the watch.

4. HagenM Feb 4, 2019

funny you say that, the ONLY thing I specified I wanted them to do Is to write down the caliper, serial # and any other info inside, It took a month to get it back, then nearly two more months to have the crystal replaced after pointing out the damage. By the time i got it back three days ago I was just happy to have it in one piece and didn't feel like arguing with them.

One thing I'll notice is sometimes I'll find some that are similar except the omega symbol is more of a gold emblem rather than a decal like mine, does anyone have any knowledge of what that could mean? Did they switch from a decal to a raised gold emblem in a certain year? I'm nervous to take the back off myself.

5. Enchanted Feb 4, 2019

It is unfortunate that this happened to you. Have you used that shop before or was this your first time? What made you go there? I had a similar experience with a person I sent my watch to a few years back. He claimed the damage was already there, and he was super busy and had tons of customers to bother with me. That is why I never go to new shops without having ask around for feedback and I make sure I take pictures of the watch before leaving them there. Sorry this happened to you. I would definitely try to get the money back, specially if you told them not to mess with the dial.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 4, 2019

Only thing I can help you is posting a watch I have that looks like yours.
    Mine is a 18 k solid gold Swiss Case powered by a 28.10 serial # 10 mil.
    You should have it opened and take pictures of everything inside the watch if you want to know.
    Btw, the damage to the dial costs you about $500.

2019-02-04_10-15-44.jpg

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 4, 2019

I would not clean or have the dial refinished, this will only make things worse.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2019

As others have said, you need to have information from inside the watch. I agree that it could be a cal. 351 or its predecessor inside.

A reputable place should not charge when they screw up a piece. More on that below.

There will be some effect, but probably minor. Here's what likely happened. In those days, Omega used a natural lacquer finish on the dials. Over time, the lacquer became very brittle and probably had many small cracks in it. When the watchmaker took the hands off the dial, even the slightest pressure from the tools could have cause the lacquer to flake away, so what you are seeing is the actual look of the dial underneath. Since it would be almost impossible to replicate the 1/5 of a second track on these dials, my recommendation is to leave it alone and chalk it up to one of those things that happen with vintage watches.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

9. HagenM Feb 4, 2019

Thats what frustrates me the most, they were supposedly a reputable place, but I don't have alot of options where I live (chattanooga area). All the work was done by the owner who only visits the store to drop off and pick up the higher-end watches for repair, so communication was horrible. I may go back and try and get the rest of my money back, but didn't know if it was worth the hassle.
    Thanks to everyone for the help,
    Hagen