Forums Latest Members
  1. WinstonN Sep 28, 2016

First real post after lurking around for a while...

I own a Uni-Compaq that I inherited from my grandfather about 20 years ago. He purchased it new when he was an army officer in Europe during WWII and wore it till he died. His story was that "his standard issue watch broke and the commissary was out of the standard watches, so he had to buy this fancy one". I had it serviced not long after I received it...oiled, acrylic crystal added, not sure what else. It ran and the chrono function worked and I really enjoyed wearing it occasionally. Its been stored for the last 12 years or so. It runs but the pushers are not working, so it sits.

I'd love to have this watch restored. I want to wear it. Plus, I'd love to have a chronograph.

I'm having difficulty finding someone to work on this. I've tried Archer, Nesbit (they're close) and Terry Nelson - all watchmakers with praise on this forum. All three responded that they no longer work on these because it is difficult to find parts.

Any advise? Am I out of luck? Thanks in advance!

Apologies for the pics quality:

37mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Oct 28, 2016
    10H10 likes this.
  2. WinstonN Sep 29, 2016

I added pics of the movement - I was a little worried about taking off the back, but worked it out. It looks much cleaner that I expected, but I should add that I am no expert and didn't really know what to expect.

3. Dre Sep 29, 2016

Winston hi, welcome. What do you mean that you want to have the watch restored, are you just looking for someone that can service the movement?
    The dial has been repainted, it was probably done on the restoration that you did not long after you received the watch. Quite a special and rare stainless steel case this one, apart from the repainted dial, everything else looks good, including the original sharp-edged mushroom pushers that normally has been replaced in service.

If you let us know where are you located, I'm sure there are members around your area that can suggests on who to go.

Jonatan, Larry S and Diabolik like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 29, 2016

I echo Drechristian. All you need is a movement service will not be cheap but well with it. You need a watchmaker who specializes in antique restoration. If the parts are not available they make them. You might need to ship it. You seem to be in Washington State?

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 29, 2016

I've used Father Time Antiques in Chicago to service my 2998-6 Speedy and my 1950's UG Tri Compax.. They are (gasp) expensive but I am very happy with the work. Both watches keep perfect time now. I have heard good things about Art Dial Watches in MI but have not used them. Then there is RGM near Lancaster PA who make their own In House and Sourced movement watches but their bread and butter is Antique restoration. They have a very good reputation. I own two of their models and they are great to deal with.

6. WinstonN Sep 29, 2016

I'm in central Washington. Seattle is a day trip. So, movement service with any necessary parts likely made in-house. Should the dial be redone? I frankly don't recall that the dial had been repainted, but if it has, seems there's no reason not to have it done properly. Am I right thinking that? Also, the hands look rough - luminance gone on one and the sweep hand is not straight (how does that happen!?). Sorry - these might be obvious questions, but I'm learning.

I appreciate the advise.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 29, 2016

No just get the movement done. No dial and no polish. You could look for an original dial. This ref has its own page in Sala.