Forums Latest Members
  1. vanderbos Apr 21, 2014

Hi, am new here, so forgive me if I am breaching protocol by asking questions like this.

I would like to commemorate a major life event with a vintage stainless steel Omega. Budget is relatively modest but I have read a lot and have narrowed my choices down to late 60s Constellations with pie pan dials, a Cosmic with onyx inlays, or possibly a Seamaster de Ville. With original bracelet if possible, even though I will generally wear with a leather strap.

I was wondering what thoughts were as to whether there are better choices to add into the mix, and also, what thoughts were on a couple of auctions online. I want to avoid a refinished dial, but don't mind something restored and cleaned--I intend this to be used, not a safe queen! Anyhow, any honest comments as to the authenticity or value of the watches in the auctions below, or whether I am looking for the wrong things in a watch, would be most welcome.

Thanks so much for any advice. I do follow omega forums and watchuseek quite closely, so am not a complete newbie, but certainly no connoisseur...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131164788652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271444840357?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310935283852?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ulackfocus Apr 21, 2014

Hi there! We welcome posts like this as long as you remember that you might be letting the world in to bid on your potential gem.

Redial. That's an automatic pass.

This has ended already. Looks like a nicely restored watch, but if somebody paid $1200 for it they got taken.

A nice, honest watch in good condition, but again the price is WAY too high. It's almost twice what it would sell for if listed in an open auction.

3. dan7800 Apr 21, 2014

1200 seems like a lot for that middle cosmic.

4. vanderbos Apr 21, 2014

Dear ulackfocus, dear Dan 7800,

Thanks for the advice, both on the ability to ask the questions (and the fact that indeed, I open doors to others to bid, too!), as well as the comments on the watches themselves. Sorry that I attached an auction that had already ended--it was on my 'Watched listings', and I hadn't realised that it had already ended. it's good to know though that these are very high prices--although I am willing to pay more for excellent condition, I don't want to get taken, either!

Dear ulackfocus, could you tell me how you could tell the first one was a redial? I thought it was very difficult to replicate the sunburst finish, and I thought the text looked crisp although zooming in closely, I now realise that it looks ever-so-slightly handwritten...but maybe you have other tips to share.

Again, thanks very, very much--I am much obliged.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 21, 2014

Redial Connie indicators:
    1. Thick cross hair, the original is finer and thinner
    2. Not passing MOY test, the cross hair does not cross M in Omega and O in Officially at the right location
    3. Thicker and less precise font and script
    4. Swiss made script position is higher than usual
    5. minute markers slightly not even
    6. .......the seller said so......;)

Hvacman likes this.
  6. Adde Apr 21, 2014

7. vanderbos Apr 21, 2014

So helpful--thanks so much. I had no idea about the cross hair and some of the other very subtle details. I also didn't catch that the seller said so, but I suppose then 'restored' needs to be read carefully!

8. dan7800 Apr 21, 2014

One thing which has helped me to learn is to only review items which have actual bids on them. That is a good sign the item is not overpriced.

If someone was selling a watch that was easily worth $3k and had a buy it now price of $1k, it obviously would not be around very long and you'd never see it. You would however, see the inverse with plenty of $1k watches with price of $3k sitting around.

Just my 2 cents.

9. vanderbos Apr 21, 2014

10. ron n Apr 21, 2014

I like the Hence the emblem on the rear cover, Hence I tell you. And I know nothing about vintage omegas.

11. dan7800 Apr 21, 2014

Hard to tell from the photos. Looks a wee bit beat up to me.

One thing I am learning about now in another thread are the service costs. Keep these things in mind.

Cosmics are good, cheap Omegas to start with.

12. vanderbos Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for all the tips--yes, if a photo is hard to scrutinise, the watch may not be worth it. And indeed, a good deal also means higher initial service costs. I'll keep all of this in mind.

I like the Cosmics, as they are a bit more youthful, yet still attainable designs. Paul Smith seems to have ripped off a few design cues from them!

13. dan7800 Apr 22, 2014

I know it is totally personal taste and what not, but price aside, the cosmic dates are right up there with the Speedmasters.

14. vanderbos Apr 23, 2014

I think you're right, Dan7800. The Speedmasters are undoubtedly iconic, but the retro simplicity of the Cosmics has me sold.

Follow-up question, also to ulackfocus above (if you're still reading!): I've noticed that the Cosmic I had mentioned has been relisted: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271462433760?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Two questions about it, as there seemed to be approval as to its authenticity (and the seller assures me it's not a redial):

1. Is there reason to worry that the bracelet is an 1125, which is for a Speedmaster?
    2. Any advice on a guide price (or range) for a well-restored watch like this? I don't mind paying a fair price, but everyone seems to think $1200.00 is way too much...I am seriously thinking of making an offer, that's all.

Thanks so much.