Forums Latest Members
  1. OliverQ Aug 7, 2012

Hello!

I recently inherited an Omega from my dad.
    I've been trolling the net trying to find out more about it but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere. I took it into an Omega 'boutique' where they told me it was from the 40's.. but he didn't really give it much time, he looked at it and said 'yeah it's an old one, I think 40's'. Which is weird because my dad inherited it from his uncle who apparently bought it in the 60's, although we're not sure if he bought it new or second hand.

Anyway..
    It's an Omega Geneve, Stainless steel, black face with a sort of salmon coloured cross hair design. The number on the inside of the back is 131.018 - When I look this up online I get a Seamaster reference. There's another long number inside on the actual mechanics - 27777453 and model no. 601.

I've been told the black face is rare but I have no idea. Any help identifying a year, price, or just more information would be warmly welcomed. I've attached a picture. Let me know if more information is required!

Thanks
    Oliver

photo 1.JPG Picture 6.png Picture 7.png
    speedycosmograph likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Your serial number dates the watch to about late 1968, it is a Geneve model as you can see from the dial and the movement is a 601 manual wind. I would characterize the black dial on this watch as uncommon, but not rare.

3. OliverQ Aug 7, 2012

Thanks very much for the help.
    I've uploaded a couple more photo's which show the dial more closely. Do you know if the hour markers on these watches were hand painted? They seem a bit 'scruffy' to me.

Cheers

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

5. OliverQ Aug 7, 2012

Thanks again, this has cleared up a lot of questions.