Forums Latest Members
  1. keithy Jun 22, 2014

I bought this watch at an estate sale last week. I am not a watch person but do buy them when they seem nice and priced reasonable so I am seeking help from watch people on this Omega.
    First I will describe what I see and help that with photos. On the center of the crystal is the small "omega" symbol but I couldn't get it to photograph. I think the photos will show the other markings.
    Next are my problems with it. If I wear it and am active it will keep running. If I take it off it will stop in a few minutes or a few hours. The stem pulls out to the first detent to set the date and all the way out to set the time. With the stem all the way in I have wound it up to 50 turns, set it down and in a few minutes it stops. It acts like the stem wind is not working or else I don't know how to wind it. Or perhaps it just needs serviced?
    Thanks for viewing the photos and telling me what you think.
    o1.jpg o2.jpg o3.jpg o4.jpg o5.jpg o6.jpg o7.jpg o8.jpg o9.jpg

2. keithy Jun 22, 2014

PS: I know the band is not origina.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 22, 2014

From the OVDB

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 12.41.14 pm.png

From the symptoms it sounds like it needs a service. Watches this old may not have been serviced and the lubricants will have deteriorated and running the watch for any long period may damage it.

I noticed the engraved "seventeen etc", why that was done I can't figure :confused:
    It doesn't look like an original bridge either so may have been repaired at some stage.

I'd suggest getting a basic "clean, oil and adjust", changing the bracelet for a nice strap and enjoying it.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 22, 2014

Agreed as noted above, but wanted to add a thank you for including photos that allow our experts to best answer your question.

5. keithy Jun 22, 2014

Thanks to both. Being a newby at this where would I send it for repair and servicing and what would that cost? I read on another thread no to send them to Omega? Thanks.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 22, 2014

Any reputable independent watchmaker can do the service.

Also the number 20 on the bezel indicates the case is 20 microns gold plated.

7. keithy Jun 23, 2014

Thanks again to all who replied. I am going to put this on EBay since I don't have the funds to put into this watch to make it 'good'. If permissible I would ask the members how I should describe the watch; should I advertise it as a parts watch needing repair and servicing? And what would be a reasonable price for a starting bid? Best to all. keithy

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

1. I would advertise it a "currently running, service history unknown. Sold as found." This puts the bidder on notice that you really don't know the condition. If the watch goes bad after you've sold on eBay, they will still make you take it back.

2. I'm not a big eBay seller, but I've been told that one gets the most action on an auction by having a ridiculously low opening bid, like 99 cents. Decent watches with name brands like Omega tend to find their own levels on eBay as there are a good population of collectors.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

9. ChrisN Jun 23, 2014

Second watch in a matter of weeks where someone has felt the need to score 'unadj', I suppose for 'unadjusted' on the movement. Here as well:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/nerwbie.13820/

Is this the 'Banksy' of the watchmaking world? Determined to leave his mark?

At least this one is easy to fix by changing the ratchet wheel. Seems hard to believe that any Watchmaker would do this.

10. larryganz The cable guy Jun 24, 2014

I thought a short power reserve could be as simple as a broken mainspring?