Forums Latest Members

Help with this 145.034 gold plated speedmaster mkII

1. d4uk Feb 10, 2016

Edited Feb 10, 2016
  2. d4uk Feb 11, 2016

no body?!

3. S.C Feb 11, 2016

Sorry don't know much about the watch but i would pass on it. Find an all Steel one not plated imo.

4. lillatroll Feb 11, 2016

If the buy it now price was high then a lot of buyers are just going to walk on by. A bit of the fun with ebay is the possibility of getting a bargain. The case looks good, but I dont know about the bracelet,I have seen the same one on a seamaster 145.005 but not on this one and the case back needs to be changed as you mentioned. The other thing that is a worry is that there are no pictures of the movement. I wonder if this watch is put together from different watches. I would ask the seller for some pictures of the movement. Enquire about the bracelet and case back. I bet the box and papers don't belong to the watch either.

oddboy likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2016

Hey d4uk,

I agree that the case looks freshly redone. I don't think the bracelet is original as the colour is different from the head and the clasp, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe ask the seller for some better pics of the inside of the clasp and endlinks and see if you can piece it together. Does the same include the original caseback? I didn't see it listed in the description. It would be nice to have the original caseback, though steel ones do come up now and again.

I like the radial subdials.

If the price is good (which to me is not much higher than it is now), it could be a good Wearing Watch. These do pop up now and then, so if you're not sure you want *this one, another will be along.

6. d4uk Feb 11, 2016

hi guys thanks..
    yeah i have a couple of these (steel ones a racing and a black dial) already and really do like wearing them but yes having not worn the gold version or indeed wearing too many gold watches, I'm not 100% convinced this will work on my wrist
    and so always difficult buying from afar certainly at this sort of value... (of course would be perfect if I could find one local even just to try on..)

I've now been in touch with the seller who says it's been re-plated - which for me means walk!

I am interested in one.. but would rather have a tattier original one.. than one that has been re-plated as it could be a put together and the fact that it doesn't even have the 145.034 case back would only support this view i guess.

I bid on one from Christies the other day buy import taxes /duty and 25% sellers premium made me nervous and so it was too rich for me in the end. and that was anything but mint!

I guess i just need to keep my eyes peeled on the FS sections unless anyone knows of one for sale....?

thnx