Forums Latest Members

Help with the identification of this Omega stopwatch!!

1. Sanmilc Sep 1, 2016

Hi,

I have many vintage watches but lately I also started to appreciate the precision of the stopwatches so I already bought a couple of Omega (because I love Omega and the relation that this brand had with the Olympic games).

Trying to find similar stopwatches I found this one (not the first one):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/just-because-two-vintage-omega-stopwatches-at-bonhams-london

It looks similar but not exactly the same, you can appreciate in the one I bought two screws, in the dial, one located near the “1” and other one half way between 2 and 3, the movement is similar I think but there are some details that make it different.

It is supposed to be a 3 seconds, 3 minutes totalizer, it works find, I search on the internet and is supposed to be used for downhill skiing, speed skating or archery, but I´m not sure….

Any information about this one…. I also show you the other Omega Stopwatch that I have, not a common one I think of Insbruck 1976 Winter Olympics and also Summer Olympics Montreal 1976.

Regards,
    Cesar.

3 seconds.jpg 3 seconds 2.jpg 3 seconds 3.jpg MONTREAL.jpg
    tapaptpat likes this.
  2. Moppel Sep 1, 2016

I have no clue, sorry.
    But these are beautiful pieces.
    I can't help but it seems to me as if these stopwatches add a little deceleration to our busy & hectic life. I wouldn't mind to use them as a tea timer instead of an iphone etc.
    Cheers
    Thomas

Sanmilc likes this.
  3. uwsearch Sep 1, 2016

First is a MG1136 high frequency timer to 1/100th of a second from around 1960 (model started in 1932!!) with a 1370 Lemania movement beating at 360000 bph.
    Second one is a MG6351 rattrapante timer to 1/5th of a second 1976 Olympics special, with a 18000 caliber beating at 18000 bph.
    Hope it helps..

Sanmilc and tapaptpat like this.
  4. Sanmilc Sep 2, 2016

Thanks Uwsearch,

About the second one (from the Olympics) I knew a little but I had doubts about the first one, I really expend some time searching for information and I couldn’t found it, so thanks, I guess the one that it is shown in hodinkee is older than the one I had, I already suspect that but it is basically the same stopwatch.

I think bought are if not rare I would say uncommon.

Regards,
    Cesar.
    www.relojblog.com

5. uwsearch Sep 2, 2016

Yours has a Lemania serial number of 974XXX so it's from around 1959.. the hodinkee one is older with an true Omega serial number.

All Omega/lemania stopwatches are rare or uncommon...

David des Baux and Sanmilc like this.