Forums Latest Members
  1. Verdulken Oct 11, 2018

Hi everyone, so I am looking into buying my dad a Rolex for his upcoming birthday. I am still undecided between a Datejust or a Sub -leaning a little more to the Sub since he owns a Tudor prince oysterdate- . Anyhow I ran into this one on Chrono24 and wanted to tap your knowledge to see if it seems legit and a reasonable deal.

Just to add to the conversation I've been eyeing a nice piece for sale on this forum as my Datejust option.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Seller is asking for $6,650 with just the box.

Sub_1.jpg Sub_2.jpg Sub_3.jpg Sub_4.jpg Sub_5.jpg Sub_6.jpg
    VintageWatchIta and noelekal like this.
  2. Dan S Oct 11, 2018

It looks nice to me, but I'm suspicious when the watch is relatively new and it doesn't come with its original papers.

amiriqbal, marco, Mongooseman and 2 others like this.
  3. Slowpoker Oct 11, 2018

Looks good, watch has been used as I see scratches on the bracelet and the very slightest nick on the bezel. (Unless that is just dust).

No papers at all?

Im conflicted about that because the watch is a good price, but no papers can present an issue when you're spending that much.

I suppose if you're not going to try and flip it, it's a decent deal indeed. I would further haggle with the seller just to see if he will go lower!

4. Verdulken Oct 11, 2018

So yeah not looking into flipping it, I know my dad will keep it and eventually will pass it down to me, so there's also an ultimate motive on my part ;) lol.

So when you guys say you're a little suspicious of having no papers, in what sense? as in it may not be authentic? or that it may be stolen or something?

Thanks!

5. simonsays Oct 11, 2018

Looks good and you can't wear papers. As it is a gift more than an investment I would be happy leaning that way. Personally I would be looking at a 5513 for a cleaner dial though.

RIGG and marco like this.
  6. Slowpoker Oct 11, 2018

Papers don't guarantee authenticity, as I know they can be faked too. (Clumsily, yet some people actually are fooled by them.)

However we do have to be wary of theft and having papers makes it far less likely that the watch was stolen.

The watch looks good, I doubt it's been stolen and as it's going to be a gift to your Dad and thusly you, I say go for it. Just one thing I've noticed is that the seconds hand isn't easy to read as it's black like the dial.

Just ask about the price though, you don't have to but I mean, if you don't ask you don't get right?

Dan S and Verdulken like this.
  7. Verdulken Oct 11, 2018

Thanks for all the help guys. I emailed the seller to get a little more info and to start the haggle process :) so let's see where it goes. I'll post an update once it works out....or not.

Thanks!

8. Verdulken Oct 19, 2018

Just an update and background story. So the reason I was looking for a sub for my dad is because I believed he used to have one back in the day and had to sell at one point (part of the $$ he used to help me with college), well he did have a Rolex he sold but it was not a sub but a reference 1501 he bought new in 1982. And how do I know the reference and year? because my dad kept the sales receipt even after he sold it. Anyhow so I ended up buying him a new 116234 with blue dial and roman numerals for his birthday after inquiring what he likes on a watch. I'm sure he will like it.

Again, thanks all for the help!

Fusion, Paedipod, flw and 8 others like this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy Oct 19, 2018

Good job!

Verdulken likes this.
  10. haqq777 Oct 19, 2018

Heart warming story and you are an awesome son! I am sure your dad will love it more than anything. I know I would if my son did the same thing.

amiriqbal, kelev_ra, marco and 2 others like this.
  11. Verdulken Oct 19, 2018

Thanks for the kind comments. I can say that he definitely deserves it and even tho he still has some of his collection -a Tudor Prince Oysterdate, a Universal, a Girard Perregaux and a few others, for which I'll post some pics some time here to get some info for him- he always seems to go back and talk about Rolexes and the one he had and actually never even wore. I must say that he never ever has mentioned to me that part of the money he used to help with my tuition, my mom was the one that told me.

12. Subspecies Oct 19, 2018

Depends where you are, in the UK you would struggle to find a 5513 at this price.

13. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Oct 19, 2018

Is your dad a diver? No? Boat captain? Negative? Get him An Explorer. The online watch community will one day realize a non-diver wearing a dive watch says you are an idiot. There are a billion different watches out there, and dive watches (especially the Submariner) isn't and was never designed to be worn as jewelry to enhance your image. Get him a watch that actually matches who he is.

14. Verdulken Oct 20, 2018

Wow...I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I guess I should get rid of my Speedmaster since I am not an astronaut, although I do work for NASA so at least I have that...guess I'll keep it. He's not an explorer so I guess not an explorer either (only Sir Shackleton types need to apply!), or a pilot so no Air King either. If you read my posts I already got him a Datejust so I guess it's the closest to his personality since he's a retired accountant.

Thanks for your input tho. Cheers!

Felice79, marco, flw and 6 others like this.
  15. Om3ga321 Oct 20, 2018

There is so much I could say about your rant,comments etc. but why get involved.

superfly, noelekal, haqq777 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mongooseman Oct 20, 2018

That's cool and everything, but all the mine clearance divers I went through training with, and most of the recreational (some quite tech) divers I know use Suunto or other dive computers instead of a dive watch. Some wear them as backups, but it's rare. I used to use my Speedmaster Professional as a backup stopwatch for blind pilotage in destroyers. Hope that satisfies your strict criteria...

17. JamieG Oct 20, 2018

Rinsed is a term my kids would say right now...

superfly likes this.
  18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 20, 2018

giphy.gif

superfly likes this.
  19. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Oct 20, 2018

Let me expalin something, since I always hear this same argument whenever this topic comes up. You can use pretty much any watch out there as a pilot, I know, I used to be one. You can "explore" with any watch that's relatively robust. As for the Speedmaster, don't get me started. Astronauts back in the day and now wear whatever they want, as anybody who has studied the breed knows (NASA made them carry along a Speedmaster even though they failed multiple times on moon missions, and Commander Swigert was clearly wearing his personal GMT Master on Apollo 13). But for diving, which I've been doing for 40 years, you need a dive watch. It is the most function-specific watch made, and is designed and constructed for this purpose. As for dive computers, I use one but in situations where decompression can be an issue I always wear a mechanical dive watch as well for they are far more reliable and computers have been known to fail for all kinds of reasons. They latest computers are brilliant, but the dive watch is far from obsolete just like mechanical altimeters are still there to back up glass cockpits in the latest commercial aircraft. A lot of younger divers have never worn a dive watch as the computer is all they know and they've become totally reliant on them as if they have their Smart Phone with them underwater. A watch is still a very important tool, and in shallower work I don't even take the computer. But the watch always goes with me.

To me using a dive watch as a fashion accessory is like driivng around in a 4X4 pickup when you never, ever need to haul anything much less go off road. I mention this because I'm old enough to remember when only divers wore dive watches, and everybody else wore a whole universe of different timepieces that suited their lifestyle. To get back to the subject: I and my brothers gave my father, a field geologist and petroleum engineer, an Air-King because with it's simple, rugged design it suited him perfectly and he wore it for nearly 40 years. Get your father a watch that suits him, not some timepiece that is all the rage in the "watch community."

SpeedyPhill and Lovewatches2 like this.
  20. lillatroll Oct 20, 2018

Perhaps he wants to buy his dad a dive watch, because he feels his dad would like a dive watch. I think if he wanted a dress watch or an explorer or a Casio g shock then he would have bought one.

I think a lot of people buy a watch because they like the look of it and it's use is of no importance apart from telling the time. I think people should buy what they like.