Forums Latest Members
  1. corn18 Nov 28, 2016

Trying to remove the bracelet on my new to me 67 Speedy. It seems the spring bars are solid or maybe someone forced longer bars into the smaller 20mm lugs. Here's a pic:

IMG_2372.JPG

Any advice on how to remove? Both sides are the same.

Thanks,

Tom

2. michael e Still learning. Nov 28, 2016

3. Swissgmt1675 Nov 28, 2016

i guess you have the wrong type spring bars fitted on your watch...In order to avoid any scratches you should bring it to your watchmaker..Looks like to be the most careful way to fix it..

4. corn18 Nov 28, 2016

It doesn't have the little nubs, so I think it's the wrong spring bar. Now to find a watchmaker nearby. Tom

5. Swissgmt1675 Nov 28, 2016

yes lugs look sharp it will be a pity to damage them with the wrong tool...

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 28, 2016

My 67 had the funky bars with the tab to depress the pin.

Was a PITA...

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 28, 2016

Normally the answer in these cases is to just cut them off, but that won't be a possibility since it's a bracelet. Shame. Agree that watchmaker is the safest option even though it's a pain.

Etp095 likes this.
  8. japester79 Nov 28, 2016

Could these be type of bars for drilled lugs?

9. DON Nov 28, 2016

Not solid, but single shoulder. Should only be used with holes through the lugs.

Always use double flange if the holes in the lugs do not go all the way through.

Those are going to be tough to cut. Sometimes you have to get a spring bar V hooked just right to press it down.

DON

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 28, 2016

This will probably require a 1mm or 1.5mm cobalt drill and a drill press.
    A pilot hole can be drilled in the large tube just in from the pin, then a 1.8mm or 2mm drill can be used to drill through the body enough to allow it to be bent out.

Or a watchmaker if you don't have the skillz'n'bits.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2016

Note that he little "nubs" can sometimes turn away from the slot in the end link, so they are not easily seen. Try spinning the spring bar around and see if they appear.

If you are 100% sure they are not there, then best to see a watchmaker. You can employ machine shop measures like drill presses and cobalt drills (!), but personally I would just cut them out with a file - take a couple of minutes to do by hand:

[​IMG]

It's a little more "watchmakery" than taking a drill press to the bar...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

blubarb, Larry S, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  12. corn18 Nov 29, 2016

Just dropped off the Speedy at my "local" watchmaker. He looked at the bars and said he would have to file or drill them just as you guys suggested. Figured I'd get it serviced, too. No polishing or replacement parts except the movement. Also getting him to service my 1986 Submariner that's been in a safe for the last 15 years.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 30, 2016

Well, not having a watchmakers file, and having done this type of operation three times before without damage to cases or bracelets I offered it as a suggestion to resolve the OPs problem.

For most of my working life we were sometimes placed in situations where we would have to "improvise, adapt,overcome".

This has often helped me get things done by using what I had at hand and do things with tools and equipment never designed for the task, but with care, skill and concentration, the outcomes have been successful in most cases.

Now, where can I get hold of some of those files?

blubarb likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 30, 2016

Nothing wrong with using a drill press, provided you have the requisite skill....and a drill press...

But by the time I walked downstairs to where mine is, adjusted the table height, found the bit and installed it, got the watch set-up, I would have the bars out by sitting at my bench for a few minutes with the file. Just a different preference, and smaller risk to the watch.

The file in question is not made for filing out stuck spring bars - it's a screw head file. As the name suggests it's for cutting slots in the heads of screws, either to clean up a marred slot, or to cut a new slot. Works well for pesky situations like this broken screw in a setting lever:

[​IMG]

Since both parts are steel, dissolving the screw in alum would also dissolve the setting lever. So, just file a slot in the part of the screw that is sticking out:

[​IMG]

And unscrew the broken bit:

[​IMG]

Et voilà!

Cheers, Al

NT931 likes this.
  15. blubarb Nov 30, 2016

Am I wrong, but this would be my solution?

image.jpg

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 30, 2016

The concern I have is that the blade can easily get torques, and you would risk touching the inside of the lugs. Believe me I have cut tons of material using a jewelers saw, and keeping it aligned requires some skill.

In contrast the file is rigid so easier to keep it aligned in a tight space and no touch anything you don't want to touch. Mitigating risk is a big part of watch repairs, so taking the least risky route is the preference.

Cheers, Al

blubarb likes this.
  17. blubarb Nov 30, 2016

I assume that is a special purpose file, Al? What's the file type and grade. I'd like to hear more about those files? I can see they are Swiss but can't make out the grade of cut or type of cut pattern

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 1, 2016

From my post above:

"The file in question is not made for filing out stuck spring bars - it's a screw head file. As the name suggests it's for cutting slots in the heads of screws, either to clean up a marred slot, or to cut a new slot."

https://www.eternaltools.com/screw-head-slotting-file

19. blubarb Dec 1, 2016

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for that info, Al.

I have previously used a Jewellers saw to cut away stubborn/incorrectly sized spring bars, but as you say, it's very easy to get an unwanted twist or incur some damage as the blade snaps. :eek:I was lucky and being very, very slow and careful helped.

Edited Dec 1, 2016