Forums Latest Members

Help with Spillman Compur evaluation

1. berrychlossom Sep 15, 2020

Hi,
    I came across a Compur in a Spillman case while visiting a local shop looking for a Polerouter. It looked interesting but given my lack of knowledge on these models I couldn't make a decision on the spot. He let me take a few photos, so here they are:
    IMG_3511.jpg IMG_3512.jpg

He's asking $12k which from my initial research seems very steep. But he's probably open to counter offers.
    Does anything stand out as unoriginal? What do you think is a fair price?

janice&fred likes this.
  2. hejsam Sep 15, 2020

12k$ sounds very steep, hands has lost all lume and secondhand is bent.
    Don't know to much about these dials but looks good to me.

Hope @bgrisso will chime in with his expertise!

berrychlossom likes this.
  3. jumpingsecond Sep 15, 2020

Looks legit. It's been polished up a bit but the dial is pretty nice overall- lot of these have developed patina/ spotting since the 40s when it was manufactured but this one is pretty good.
    Not 12k good tho.

berrychlossom likes this.
  4. cristos71 Sep 15, 2020

I must be waaaay out of touch if that's a $12K watch :eek:

Mark020, janice&fred, aap and 2 others like this.
  5. bgrisso Sep 15, 2020

I've had a few 22409. Seems like the lume often falls out of the hands, both of mine had to be relumed. The pushers are often replaced, and that looks to be the case here. The original pushers are basically impossible to find. This one looks OK ish, but needs a relume on the hands, the chrono sweep is messed up, the pushers are replaced. Price is completely nuts. Some nice all original versions of these were floating around for sale in the 6-7K range earlier this year, I don't see them on C24 any more.

I sold this Uni Compax 22409 to another collector here on OF, fully serviced, very sharp case, way better looking (lower pusher was replaced, upper orig) for just over a third of that asking price. But I lost $$ on that one, it was a very low price.

Anyhow that could be a OKish example if you can get them to come way way way down on price, which often is not possible when people have crazy ideas in their head about value.

P1020708_adj.JPG
  6. berrychlossom Sep 16, 2020

That looks beautiful! Wish I had been around when you were selling it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I doubt he'll come down to a reasonable price based on the back and forth I had with him about a PolArouter he had. He was asking $3500 (the watch had wrong hands and original but cracked plexi). I could only get him to come down to trading in my PolErouter and paying him $2500 :)
    Obviously I walked.

Mark020 likes this.
  7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 18, 2020

It's hard to tell, but I think the lugs have been polished to death. Those sharp angles look rounded. :(

Also, yes, insultingly priced.

Larry S likes this.