Forums Latest Members
  1. tomo Jul 28, 2015

Hi everyone,

Been reading and lurking for a long time and I'm feeling the need to ask for advice. If im in the wrong place or second I apologize in advance.

I'm about to move on my speedy 3572 for a more vintage model. While I'd love a pre moon I just don't really have the funds quite yet. I have found a transitional model that has me interested and I figured I'd ask if anyone sees anything wrong with it that my eyes are missing. Lume markers look solid if maybe retouched. Has the applied metal logo and step dial. Hands are ok although I'd rather have a spear seconds hand for the main chrono seconds. Case back and movement appear ok. I'm waiting to hear back on service history and if there is a box or papers etc. I feel like the price is decent but I'm curious what you all think this should go for. Any advice or observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLIGuy likes this.
  2. Optimizer13 Jul 29, 2015

Dial and hands look relumed to me.
    Lugs are quite thin from over-polishing.
    Aside from that, I think you got the others.

3. Fost Jul 29, 2015

Relumed??? :confused:

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Optimizer13 Jul 29, 2015

I may be very well wrong... but that's what I think. Texture seems like a relume. If the dial is not relumed, it looks like a nice watch to buy! Experts should chime in!

Edited Jul 29, 2015
  5. lwong Jul 29, 2015

Service crown, some polish done (not overly imo), factor in wrong bracelet plus cost of service (change that gasket for sure)! Dial looks pristine and indice aging matches the hands nicely, I wouldn't think relume as my first thought but if it is I'd like to send some watches to the fella...

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 29, 2015

hand and dial is fine.

Spacefruit and Fost like this.
  7. TNTwatch Jul 29, 2015

Left side of the case does appear to have been over-brushed. Don't expect a good service history since that gooey gasket indicates a decade or two of non-service. Also make sure the serial matches up with the case.

Archer likes this.
  8. TLIGuy Jul 29, 2015

As the others have pointed out the work on the case is disappointing and maybe the flash reflection may be distorting the image a bit but that is one of the nicest dial and hand combinations I have seen on a '68 in a long time. A good cleaning and lightly reapplying the correct brushed finish to the case would probably turn this into a solid watch.

Fost likes this.
  9. tomo Jul 29, 2015

Thanks everyone. How can you tell the case has been polished? Needs a new bracelet and a service for sure.

10. Davidt Jul 29, 2015

Agree that the hands and dial are very good and almost certainly original. The case does look polished but the angle of the picture may be making it look worse that it actually is.

It's also worth pointing out that this model is a pre moon.

11. TLIGuy Jul 29, 2015

The first place I look to judge if work has been done on the case is to see if it's uniform from the underside. On a new un-molested case the four corners should all be uniform. Here in the red circles you can see the difference which would be an indication to me that metal has been removed from the case.

f335387d53c0e41ffc5e27b58c91a74d.jpg

Edited Jul 29, 2015
    Ruche and wsfarrell like this.
  12. tomo Jul 29, 2015

Thanks for the polishing tip. I've been curious how people could tell at a glance. I talked to the seller again and there is no service history but they provide a warranty for 1 year so that's comforting... I think. Here's a few more pics. Movement number is in the 26 million mark which matches up with Maddox and Speedmaster101 info I've read. At $3500 I feel pretty good about this. Anyone say defiantly no at that price and given the pics?

13. tomo Jul 29, 2015

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 29, 2015

that's a good price for a '68 transitional. the dial, hands and bezel are good. get the movement serviced. I'd go for it (if i was still looking for one).

gophishin and Optimizer13 like this.
  15. Temiyasen Jul 29, 2015

This is looked a nice piece for me as compared to the one I have owned.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2015

Not sure how they can offer a warranty for something that clearly needs to be serviced, and hasn't been serviced in a very long time. If this is the kind of thing the seller warrants, I'm not sure I would use the warranty and have them service it.

I would plan on the cost of a proper service if you buy this. I might even suggest to the seller that they need to drop the price a but since it obviously needs a service, but I guess it depends how much you like it and if they would sell to someone else at their full price.

Cheers, Al