Help with Speedy 145.022-78 evaluation

This is strictly for my education. I am in no way throwing shade on anyone. If this is not allowed or acceptable, please delete and I apologize.
I have been looking at different Speedmaster Pro's on the bay (also past sales here) and trying to assess condition and value by referencing Speedmaster101.The subject Speedy was on the bay. In my opinion, the condition was not that great but it was appealing, for some reason. The ghost bezel is cool. I know that is probably a matter of taste. The dial seems to be pretty good. The lume is so-so. Hands are a little rough and missing some lume. The case is somewhat dinged up. I'm thinking it's not great but would be a cool watch to wear without worrying about damage. My biggest hang up was that the chrono would only operate for less than 60 seconds and stop. So, it needs servicing and probably some parts. It apparently sold for $3995. I know something is worth what someone will pay and you can't always go by a single sale on the bay. To me, this watch was fair condition at best, and not a particularly desirable model. Some pictures from the listing and Speedmaster101 value line below. What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

78-1.jpg 78-2.jpg 78-3.jpg 101.JPG

Was this an auction sale or buy it now/best offer? Unless it was auction the actual sales price is often impossible to know, you cant assume the BIN price was the sale price.
And there are many purchases from buyers with limited knowledge so who knows? Its a fairly attractive watch with moderate case wear- but you are correct it would need service with could be 500-1000 or more.
Happy hunting! Keep your eye on the OF Private Sales thread you will not likely make a big mistake here.

Was this an auction sale or buy it now/best offer? Unless it was auction the actual sales price is often impossible to know, you cant assume the BIN price was the sale price.
And there are many purchases from buyers with limited knowledge so who knows? Its a fairly attractive watch with moderate case wear- but you are correct it would need service with could be 500-1000 or more.
Happy hunting! Keep your eye on the OF Private Sales thread you will not likely make a big mistake here.

Hi SOG53. It was a BIN or best offer. I communicated with the seller and he said $3600 was the best he do, considering the fees. I understand his side of the deal but I was figuring $1000 for a service/repair. $4600 all in was more than I would want to spend. I liked it but I was also trying to compare and learn to evaluate, using Speedmaster101 and considering other comments on this forum. Never know when I might run into one in the wild and have to rely on what little I know.

I think you were right to pass at that price. Less risk buying from OF members

The photos are pretty poor for an assessment but I’d say;
Case is poor-fair
Bezel is incorrect and bleached.
Dial is hard to assess. Is the lume missing or just mint green? If missing it’s fair. If green lume then potentially good.
Overall I’d say FAIR at best.

Bear in mind the sp101 chart is for unserviced as far as I’m aware. Even watches in Excellent condition will likely need a service

The photos are pretty poor for an assessment but I’d say;
Case is poor-fair
Bezel is incorrect and bleached.
Dial is hard to assess. Is the lume missing or just mint green? If missing it’s fair. If green lume then potentially good.
Overall I’d say FAIR at best.

Bear in mind the sp101 chart is for unserviced as far as I’m aware. Even watches in Excellent condition will likely need a service

Thanks Davidt. I didn't notice the incorrect bezel. This watch has the smaller TACHYMETRE with the accent mark. It should be larger with no mark, correct? I was also curious about the ghosting.
b2.JPG
b1.JPG

Thanks Davidt. I didn't notice the incorrect bezel. This watch has the smaller TACHYMETRE with the accent mark. It should be larger with no mark, correct? I was also curious about the ghosting.
b2.JPG
b1.JPG

That’s correct