Forums Latest Members
  1. monti Apr 3, 2018

Hi all, newbie to the site. I got bitten by the watch collecting bug a few years ago and have been obsessed with the hobby ever since. Recently I acquired my first Speedmaster and after doing some research on it I think it is from 1989 or 1990 with an 861 movement. The watch runs perfectly keeping very good time. Unfortunately I think the dial has been refinished as it doesn't say professional on it or have the lume dots on either side of the 12 oclock marker. I was hoping someone on here might point me in the right direction to finding a proper dial for it as I would like it to be correct for the year. Also does anyone know what it would cost if I sent it back to Omega to get the dial replaced.
    Thanks for your time
    Monti
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. abrod520 Apr 3, 2018

Hi there, yes unfortunately the dial has been refinished, and poorly so. Finding a correct dial may be somewhat difficult, since it would be a tritium-lume dial which Omega no longer offer through their service centers. You'll want to research 1980s Speedmasters and study the dial fonts and layouts to help your search.

3. monti Apr 3, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Would Omega put on a non tritium replacement dial if it was sent there? If so any idea on cost?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2018

That would be better than what is on there now.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2018

Omega would 100% swap it for a new luminova dial. Your watch appears early 80’s I believe. And should have a Tritium dial. As your hands are fairly poor also... you might want to look into new dial and hands from an LE which are available on eBay.

I’m guessing about 1k usd and Omega will put on the current regular dial and hands in luminova.

6. monti Apr 3, 2018

Excuse my ignorance but what is an LE?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2018

Limited edition

Italian White dial. Or racing or Mitsukoshi dial. These are all available.

8. monti Apr 3, 2018

Kind of want to stay with the black dial as this is my favorite look for a speedy>

9. RLF13430 Apr 3, 2018

There are service dials and hands on the market. Don't send it to Omega! They will definitely replace the hands and dial and likely polish the case smooth. Find a good watch maker.

10. abrod520 Apr 3, 2018

They would perform a full service on your watch, replacing any and all parts that they deemed less than perfect, for about $750 at current pricing. Unofrtunately this would include the hands on your watch, which are probably original tritium and as such have value. Omega will not simply provide a dial and swap it, so I'd say your best bet is to find a local watchmaker who will work with you on custom jobs, and trawl eBay for a suitable dial (again, after researching which types would work for your watch)

11. monti Apr 3, 2018

Ok thanks for the help. If anyone reading this has a dial they want to sell ;)