Forums Latest Members

Help with some information on an Omega Seamaster watch a friend wants to sell me

1. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

Good afternoon everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. My health has had me down a bit, but my yard guy brought a watch to me and said he needed a little bit of a loan and possibly to even sell to me. It looks like a late 50's to early 60's Seamaster. It does run, not great but does run. I took some photos and I'm out running errands and I'll check its timekeeping when I get home. Here it is, any help and knowledge would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once again, thanks for any direction you can give me on this piece. Is it worth pumping some money into?
    Thanks so much.
    Rich Murphy

Ps. I think I'm definitely going to keep that beautiful Speidel band .... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuck, GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  2. cimo Apr 25, 2016

Much money? Maybe not. Some money? Definitely. I like that textured dial. I vote yes!

rmurphy37 likes this.
  3. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

I love the textured dial. I guess I'll be googling and reading for days now. I wish I had an Omega dealer close by.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 25, 2016

Omega dealers usually know less about vintage watches than they know about 15th century French art.

Foo2rama, OMGRLX, efauser and 8 others like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2016

Looks legit, needs a service badly,

So what's he looking for it...

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

He has not a lot of a clue. He just handed it to me and asked me if I could be fair. I think I could pick it up for a couple hundred bucks.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 25, 2016

$400-500 seems to be about what they're going for, unserviced. I'm pretty sure the crown is wrong, so you want to factor that in, too.

Edited Apr 25, 2016
    OMGRLX likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

That may be true, but remember, it's going to take around $200 minimum to fix it up properly. Add in a new signed crystal and crown, you might be pushing $300. So now, you're more like $600 to $800 into the watch. That's too much IMO.

While the case and dial seem to be in nice condition, this is more a "driver" watch. It's not pristine.

I wouldn't pay more than $300 as is. There's not enough cushion in it otherwise.
    gatorcpa

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 25, 2016

I agree. I edited my original post but got sidetracked, before sending.

10. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Apr 25, 2016

Stainless Steel 2577 with a textured dial, a 354 cal, and nice facets on thick lugs! That checks most of my boxes! The lume is missing from the 3, 6, 9, 12 squares and the Omega logo looks a little pinched. Tough to tell through the scratched Crystal. These are the type of watches I enjoy finding. I would agree that you should offer no more than $300 as it needs a service. Sorry about your health and your yard guy's situation. I would make him an offer on it.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2016

Good honest figure above by all, glad we didn't have anyone come in and say offer him $20 like we have had over time.

Show your yard guy this thread if he thinks it's worth a lot more...

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

I want to first thank all of you! I've got a day date speedmaster and two Rolex's in my stable at the moment, a Sub C and a DeepSea that's my daily wearer so he knew that I have a passion for a nice watch and knew I'd never screw him over.
    I had planned on showing him this thread for sure.
    I have another watch that he had shown some interest in, a quartz Zodiac chronometer, probably a $250-300 watch, I thought the Omega was worth about the same given its condition.
    I've been reading all day ..... A Seamaster 354 bumper, it uses a Swan neck regulator, similar to some of the higher end Chinese 6497 movements I've run across from time to time. It's amazing at what you learn when you read.
    I've got nothing in the Zodiac, it was thrown in as gravy on a trade deal I did. Damn if I don't like the watch though. Here's a photo of it: what would you guys do?
    [​IMG]

Decisions, decisions .... Or I could give cash for his and keep all mine.

Where would I get the Omega restored?

Thanks again everyone

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 25, 2016

Trade but I'm not big on quartz watches. A new crystal and crown are not difficult to come by.

rmurphy37 likes this.
  14. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

Thanks Mr. Fauser for your input

15. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Apr 25, 2016

I'm a big fan of Zodiacs but know little of the newer "Fossil " models. I too vote for a trade.

rmurphy37 likes this.
  16. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

It's about 10 yrs old but boy is it a nice piece

Giff2577 likes this.
  17. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

I do have a question in regards to the dial, can I have it cleaned up ( restored ) in order to look pretty and new or does that diminish the value, same way with the case.
    I know the answer most would give in regards to a Rolex but is Omega the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lillatroll likes this.
  18. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Apr 25, 2016

Is Omega the same as Rolex?! Shame shame. Kidding. Yes, many here view "restoring" a dial as a bad thing. It tends to drastically reduce its vale so the market agrees with this thinking. A dial is only original once. Even cleaning a dial can be risky. In the end it is (potentially) your watch so restore it if that will make you happy. I personally prefer an original dial with character.

OMGRLX and rmurphy37 like this.
  19. DON Apr 25, 2016

Trade him the Zodiac. Omega over time will be worth more. Don't show him the posting here with all the prices listed.

I would offer $250.00 if he wants cash

DON

OMGRLX, rmurphy37 and gatorcpa like this.
  20. rmurphy37 Apr 28, 2016

I thankfully did not have to trade my Zodiac! It was a gift and I would have felt like a real POS if I had, and I got the watch for below any expected purchase price I could have thought he would go for.
    47 and 1/2 hrs of power reserve by the way. A new friend from the forum is sending me a 4 notch crown for the, i got that horrible speidel band off of there. Moving along I'd say.[emoji4]

Flingit1200s and Giff2577 like this.