Forums Latest Members

Help with setting Movado Triple Date

1. w154 Apr 17, 2016

Just picked up a 36mm Movado Triple date, but never had anything like this before and I am struggling to figure out how to set the day of the week. The bottom pusher indexes through the dates (1-31), and the top pusher indexes the months (Jan-Dec). Then the crown only seems to have one position which sets the time. So how do I set the day of the week in the left hand side window ?

The only way I can imagine is to wind the time round and round, and perhaps the day will change, but that sounds like it might damage the movement. Anyone here know the correct way ? Thanks !

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 17, 2016

that is the correct way. The day will change - no "perhaps" about it.

w154 likes this.
  3. Private_Doberman Apr 17, 2016

I have the Heuer triple date, and I too was puzzled how to change the day when it first arrived and had to ask advice.
    Triple date watches have style!

4. w154 Apr 17, 2016

Thanks LouS.

It is what I would have eventually tried, but I didn't want to mess up anything in the movement without asking first. I have been pretty lucky with this as it was sold as "broken", but with one wind it runs fine and all the functions seem to be operate perfectly too. It does run about 15-20 seconds fast though, so could "perhaps" do with a service :)

image.jpg
    shoota70 likes this.
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 17, 2016

Here is some instructions. Note that this is part of a manual for watchmakers, and may contain information also related to positioning of the hands after a service. Anyhow the adjustments to date/day/month will be correct.
    Calendromatic.jpg

Alpha and w154 like this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 17, 2016

And to answer your question: The day of the week can only be set by advancing the time until the correct day is shown (as indicated above). Please also note that the month indication is not automatically advanced.

7. w154 Apr 17, 2016

You're not wrong !

It is the dial on this one that is so appealing, and it (the dial) looks to be in good as new condition (I don't know the history of this, and I am not a Movado expert, so I hope it isn't a replacement dial or a dial that has just been signed "Movado"). The only problem is seeing if I can get used to the smaller size of 36mm, plus in a perfect world the case would be gold rather than plated.

Edited Apr 17, 2016
  8. w154 Apr 17, 2016

Thanks for posting the instructions. Everything is clear now !

The one thing I did know is that the month won't automatically change, but if it did (i.e. if this was an annual or perpetual calendar) then I am sure it would have cost a lot more than it did !

9. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 18, 2016

In my opinion the dial is correct and original. The font and markings are crisp. The dial appears to be 1940s as the Movado font seen on your watch is the same as numerous watches they produced around that time. Enjoy it!

10. Maybe Apr 22, 2016

Congrats! Mine is 34mm, Movados tend to be rather small, I guess it's because they were succesful in the 30's and 40's.
    [​IMG]

11. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 22, 2016

Keep in mind it is not just the case diameter that determine how a watch wears. A watch like yours wears well at 34mm +/- because the bezel is very thin. One doesn't need some 50mm watch to look good IMO. :)

Northernman and Maybe like this.