Forums Latest Members
  1. Tophership May 15, 2018

Hey guys, I need some help from everyone who is far more educated than I. I found a seamaster I believe to be mid 50s that looks decent to me. What can you guys see wrong with this? It checks all my boxes but I think I’m bias.

2. Tophership May 15, 2018

upload_2018-5-15_22-14-37.png BFEF31F9-7693-4251-B449-110AD6883C80.png DEEDE9CD-13DC-483D-8608-19FBE5A6255B.png CDE5B987-F660-4FD9-9D69-E1B68AED6585.png 3E5B7BF8-2FA9-4FDB-A321-8EFEBC7ECCB9.png D0BBAEBA-0148-4F74-B6A1-881B7B3148DF.png All my pics didn’t post....
    Sending the rest

62BD8340-1092-448A-BF6A-96250C4D4AAF.png
  3. Tophership May 15, 2018

I’m fairly worried about the dial missing the seamaster wording, I’m not sure about that crown either.

4. Tophership May 16, 2018

Also when you guys are buying watches do you go more off the amount of feedback a person has? Or the quality? I’ve heard both matter a lot but what is the tipping point for you if a new person is hitting the scene and still building cred?

5. fnzeee May 16, 2018

Hi! From what I see online regarding the g6232, you need not be concerned about the missing seamaster wording. The crown also looks ok to me. Here is a good reference example sold here on OF: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-g6232-cal-354.37673/

It also has the correct cal 354 movement, though from the picture you cannot see the balance or regulator. Someone else here may be able to tell you if its a redial or not...I cannot tell from the pictures.

Regarding the 'bay, there is a great thread somewhere here on OF with some good best practices. For me, I always let the pictures cary more weight than anything in the description by the seller. I do check feedback and look in particular that it all did not come at the same time. I read any negative comments and also a subset of the positive ones to get an idea of who I may be dealing with. On the negative ones the seller's rebuttal often tells you all you need to know. Quantity is also important, and longevity. I also check their other auctions to see if there is any indication of "schilling" (using multiple accounts to artificially increase bids)...a good example of this and some other things to look for are in a thread from earlier today called "I wish sellers on Ebay would stop...". Finally, you can ask the members here as if the seller has been doin this awhile, someone here has probably bought a watch from them.

Tophership likes this.
  6. Tophership May 16, 2018

That’s hugely helpful! Thanks a lot. I still hve some digging myself but I’m trying not to get taken on this lol. Any feedback I can get from all the experienced folks here is very appreciated.

7. Tophership May 16, 2018

I sent the seller a request for another movement shot with the bumper out of the way, hopefully I'll get that soon.

I guess my main concern now is determining how untouched the dial is, and I'm personally unable to see the difference. My eye is still pretty untrained. Would anybody have weigh in on this?

8. ChrisN May 16, 2018

I took your first photo and just did "enhance" in windows. It looks like this:
    354a.png

I wouldn't like to call it based on that one photo so, if I were you, I'd ask for a head on shot. I'm leaning towards an original dial as the ticks seem even and I think I see the SWISS MADE, plus the fonts look okay. Like I say, get more information at higher resolution before deciding.

The 354 looks complete in that shot but, it also looks dirty and stained so budget for a service. How much is he asking for it?

Cheers, Chris

Tophership likes this.
  9. Tophership May 16, 2018

$650 OBO, the square markings on the dial threw me a bit. I have been looking around and I can't find another dial with those. I'll try and get a higher rez head on picture. Thanks so much for the help!

10. fnzeee May 16, 2018

Agree, I have not seen the square marks before either. But the ticks do look even, etc... Perhaps a better head-on photo will help. And would definitely budget for a service, but I think that goes without saying...I bring all my watches to my watchmaker, even if the seller claims it was "recently serviced". You will want him to check the seals, clean and oil the movement. If it is not a redial, I would spend $550 to 600 on it...maybe more. But that's just my opinion, not a gauge of what it is worth. You might try also asking the seller if the dial has been restored. At least if he says no then you have grounds for return or partial refund due to misrepresentation if it turns out to be a redial. Of course he may just say he does not know. This has worked for me in the past.

Tophership likes this.
  11. Tophership May 16, 2018

All great points. I was going to throw an offer of $500 at him for wiggle room and not spend more then the $650 if it is the real deal and authentic. Still waiting on his return email.

fnzeee likes this.
  12. fnzeee May 16, 2018

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tophership likes this.
  13. Tophership May 16, 2018

Someone bought it first as is. Oh well, there will be others!