Forums Latest Members

Help with Repair or Return decision (seamaster 1342)

1. stefanve Dec 1, 2017

Hello,

It is my first post here, hi
    I hope you can help me :)

I have a couple (6) of watches but non really expensive. I wanted a new one. As I always really liked omega I tried buying one.

I have bought a 1342 seamaster from 1979-1981. I knew from the photos that it would need some work; it looked dirty and worn. After I received it I noticed that the crown was not the correct one. I went to a repair shop and they said it would cost between 100-150 euro to replace the crown and clean/polish it.

Today they said the clockwork is in really bad shape and should be replaced and that the total would go to 330 euro. I have paid 200 euro for the watch it self (after 30 euro discount for the crown). The seller doesn't want to give an additional discount and will refund me if I sent it back. I really like the look of the watch but I'm in sure if it is worth it as the total would go to 530 euro.

I know the dial is worn but in person it gives a nice glow like appearance because of this. Also the logo from the clasp is gone as you can see in the photo's. For me it is not a big problem, But I'm afraid that all things to getter it is to expensive

All advice is welcome :)

s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg s-l16002.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16004.jpg s-l16005.jpg s-l16006.jpg
  2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 1, 2017

My advice - send it back if you can. It's a money pit. For a little bit more you can get a lot better.

3. fjf Dec 1, 2017

Yes, those quartz can become a money pit. Return it. Keep looking until you learn more, and get something better. Or get a Casio.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  4. doog Dec 1, 2017

Send it back. If you want an Omega, buy a mechanical movement NOT a quartz one, as there are far more watchmakers who can repair/service a traditional mechanical calibre. If you like the style of the one you went for, some late 56x/75x calibres are available in case references that are more ‘modern’. Hope it works out for you.

WhatYourWatchSay and stefanve like this.
  5. habrisbane Dec 1, 2017

But it is not pair for the seller. You know that is a quazt omega and agreed to buy it.

6. Canuck Dec 1, 2017

Not fair for the seller? He’s offering a return policy. So what’s unfair if he gets it back. That movement is close to being obsolete, if it is not already. Enough has been said in this thread about buying quartz watches as collectibles. The poster has indicated it needs a lot of work. At the prices he has mentioned for the purchase price and the repair, this watch is not worth it. Say no more. Do yourself a favour and send it back. Only rarely can you buy a watch for low money, and find a real treasure. Learn better about how to judge the quality of a worthwhile collectible watch, then don’t ba afraid to pay a premium for the right watch.

7. doog Dec 1, 2017

This is true. But it still has to be in good working condition if we are assuming the description stated this, and if it starts failing as quickly as it appears, then you have the right to send it back for a complete refund. That’s certainly the case under EU law as it stands.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 1, 2017

Depends on the return policy of the seller don’t jump to conclusions.

These are not 5 dollar quartz movements. They will only become more expensive to service hence the lack of collectibility of these.

This one has obvious damage.

9. Speedy_Gonzales Dec 1, 2017

I am normally a proponent of buyer beware, but if a refund was offered I would take it. Life is too short to deal with these kind of problems especially if it is not a heirloom piece with some sentimental meaning.

stefanve likes this.
  10. stefanve Dec 2, 2017

Thank you all for your help. I think I have to sent it back.... :(

Just one quick note; I didn't buy it as a collectable just something I can ware. Also the watch maker would put in an new clockwork so it should hold up for a longer time.

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 2, 2017

If you are simply looking for a watch to wear without worrying, then perhaps 30 - 40 year old quartz watches are maybe not the way to go. I don't dismiss them all, and some look very nice, but as has been said, some of these older movements are teetering on the edge of obsolescence in terms of service and repair.

If you are looking for advice on a watch to wear on a daily basis without worry, type "beater" into the search function here (tick the Search Titles Only box) and have fun :D

12. stefanve Dec 2, 2017

Oeh nice , thanks for the tip!

13. Canuck Dec 2, 2017

Putting in a new movement is simply not an option, in my view. Nothing renders a watch as worthless, as fast as bodging it with that kind of foolishness. Dump it, ASAP. It simply is not worth all this angst!

14. stefanve Mar 2, 2018

In the end I decided to half repair the watch ... Cleaned it up and changed the crown to the proper one but didn't change the clockwork.. maybe I will later on. I'm very happy with it :). In the end I just loved the casing and the band....

IMG_20180302_223919.jpg IMG_20180302_223448.jpg IMG_20180302_223431.jpg
    Edited Mar 2, 2018
    felsby and joek like this.
  15. Sherbie Mar 2, 2018

Sorry, but could you please explain “ half repair”?

What exactly did you have done?

16. stefanve Mar 2, 2018

Te watchmaker informed me that the clockwork was in bad shape, that is was functioning but it didn't look good. He cleaned it up a bit. But I didn't change it for a new one, it is running fine so far but maybe I will do it later. So he put on a new push crown as the one on the watch was non original , polished and cleaned than band and casing (was a challenge he said) , cleaned the face and renewed the rubbers etc. But appart from cleaning the clockwork he didn't change or repair it. I paid 100€ for the repairs

17. Sherbie Mar 2, 2018

Ok thanks, can we see new photos please ?