Forums Latest Members

Help with parts for a 14765 Seamaster with a caliber 551

1. novina Sep 20, 2017

Good day,

First, my bad, caliber is 550....

So I have been buying parts to do final repairs to my 1960s Seamaster. I have bought a Omega package crystal wit part number 063PZ5072. I had also bought a winding shaft and crown. So I brought this to my watch maker and he claims all the parts are wrong. Crystal is too big and the winding shaft is too long. Can anyone confirm the crystal part number? And than the correct parts for the winding shaft for a top loading case? The crystal is just cosmetic but I need to replace the winding shaft as the male female connect is very loose and i also manage to pull the crown right out of the case. Movement is a 550. Appreciate any and all help.

P.S. Would a "SC" make any difference with case part number? Thought this was just a case designation.

Thanks again,

Rob

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2017

Does this watchmaker have experience with Omegas? The crystal is correct, and if he says the female stem part is too long, you might want to find another watchmaker - the part that goes in the movement is a fixed length (the male end) but the part that screws into the crown is left long intentionally so it has to be trimmed to length. It boggles the mind that a watchmaker would not know this. Part number for that is 081ST9992.

Crown for that case is listed as 069ST42531.

Cheers, Al

3. novina Sep 20, 2017

Thanks you very much Al.

The watchmaker is a good watchmaker but apparently does not have too much knowledge of Omegas. He can maintain one but that may be all. He did clean my 2828 and timed it with what I regard as very good accuracy. Dare I say 3-4 seconds fast per day. I am happy with this but understood that his Omega repair knowledge is lacking. It is just that it is very hard to find a good watch maker in my area. I live in Rhode island and have asked for help in this regard before with no luck. The one watchmaker I did find, set the 14765 very fast with 10-15 seconds a day. Much less than I believe it could be set. So, back to him regardless, as i would like this work done. And if no one can give a personnel recommendation, I will go back to him.

Again thank you for the help. I kind of figured that this may have been a long shot with this watchmaker. But he should have been able to change the stem and crown at the very least. Oh well, live and learn.

Again, thank you AL

Rob