Forums Latest Members
  1. steve.b Dec 23, 2014

Hello all, this is my first post here so I hope i am posting in the right section..
    I have recently been given a old Omega watch by someone who was in the jewelry trade many years ago and I am after some information on the watch if at all possible, I have searched the internet but are finding that there are indeed many different models of omega seamaster and are now finding it quite confusing.
    The watch has Omega automatic and seamaster calender written on the face and the front is gold in colour whilst the back is stainless steel push on rather than screw on ( I think ) and has the words seamaster and waterproof written on it ( the back is quite scratched ) I am interested in finding out if it had a particular model number and what date it would have been manufactured ( guessing 1960s )
    The watch itself keeps good time and is a lovely watch to wear, the dial face has some spotty marks on it and the glass is a bit scratched ( is it possible or even worth having the face cleaned and a new glass fitted ) any information would be greatly received as I intend to keep and wear the watch and would be interested to know a bit about it.

Many Thanks, Steve. seamaster back.jpg seamaster front.jpg

2. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Dec 23, 2014

Its probably a Omega ref 2849 with a caliber 503, as far as the year of manufacture... we would need to see the movement number to give you an idea, but it could be late 50s to early 60's. Would recommend you have a watchmaker take a look at it and service it before you wear it regularly.

3. steve.b Dec 23, 2014

Thank you for your prompt reply, I have been a bit nervous to take the back of and photograph the movement as I was not sure if it just pops off and then back on easily ( hence no photo's of the inside ) I will get a watch maker to have a look and service it as well as get a quote for a new glass, not sure how expensive it will be or even if it will be cost effective but as I said earlier it is a nice watch to wear.

4. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Dec 23, 2014

A service cost should be between 150 to 200 give or take plus parts.

5. steve.b Dec 23, 2014

Thanks, I will get the watch in for a quote, for the glass as well.

6. steve.b Dec 24, 2014

I have decided definatley to get a new glass and service as it doesn't seem too expensive and the watch does have some sentimental value.
    After speaking to the lady who was a jeweller back in the 50s / 60s / 70s and purchased the watch new for her husband, I was told that it has been serviced until about ten years ago and is original..
    Which now brings me to the question of the dial face it has a few marks that have come with its age ( little spots that can be seen in the picture) can they be cleaned off or does the face have to be re painted ( or what ever is done, excuse my ignorance ) I would like to keep the watch as original as possible so if the marks can't be cleaned of am I just better of to get the service and glass done and leave the face as it is..

Many thanks, Steve.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 24, 2014

You will see plenty of mentions here of the word "redial". Basically, this means that the dial has been re-painted. Some are better than others but regardless, it will knock 40 to 50% off the value of the watch for sale purposes. The spots are a patina, usually caused by the aging of the lacquer used after the original painting of the dial. It may be possible to have this cleaned up but that does not come without the risk that you could end up with the dial in a worse condition than if it had been left alone.

8. Sherbie Dec 24, 2014

I personally would polish or replace the Crystal, but leave the dial exactly as it is. If you do get it serviced, please ask them to clean the case, but NOT polish it.

A nice brown or black leather strap will also look fantastic on this

Enjoy

9. steve.b Dec 24, 2014

Thanks for the replies Stewart H and Sherbie, the glass is scratched and shows up when light shines on it so I will get it replaced ( there seemed to be two choices of glass ) and I think a service should be done as a matter of course.
    And I will take your advice Sherbie and leave the face as it is and try and keep it looking as original as I can, I also like the idea of a brown leather strap ( any ideas what would have been fitted from new ? )

10. steve.b Dec 31, 2014

Well I haven't had the watch serviced yet ( that will come after the holidays, but I have polished some of the scratches out of the glass and also on the back of the watch and have fitted a new black hide strap this afternoon and so far for my first omega I am pleased.. Thanks for looking.

watch 1.jpg watch 2.jpg watch 3.jpg

Mothra likes this.