Forums Latest Members
  1. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

hi omega chaps!

I need some help here. I come across an omega speedmaster 145.012 and it was mentioned that the Lum lost for hands and dials... however I'm having problem detecting them.

Can you help to indentify where is the Lum lost?
    What is the effect of this Lum lost? Will it affect the value of the watch?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
    Omega apprentice

IMG_4322.JPG IMG_4323.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 13, 2017

If it isn't extremely obvious to you, I don't know that I can explain it, other than to say to look at the hands again.

Aluurchin likes this.
  3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Aug 13, 2017

Hi,

Lume is the stuff that was applied to the indexes. IMG_5318.JPG

It is lost on your dial. Flaked or scraped off.

mr_yossarian likes this.
  4. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

Thanks for highlighting it... I wasn't really sure how the "lost" look like...

For Lum lost, will it affect the value of the watch?

Thanks again for the input

5. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

The seconds hand and right sub dial hand look like rushed, is that possible?

6. Igora Aug 13, 2017

have you bought this watch?
    it was sold today!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282600185380Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Aug 13, 2017

Yes. To me a watch with severe lume loss is undesirable.

Aluurchin likes this.
  8. Edwinowl Aug 13, 2017

The Lume is missing from the hour and minute hand my friend also chrono hand Lume looks darkened ,they can be re lumed easily and many dealers will re Lume hands to match the dials in a variety of vintage watches

Foo2rama and Aluurchin like this.
  9. Maitreyoda007 Aug 13, 2017

The lume is also missing on the dial, not only on the hands...

Aluurchin likes this.
  10. Edwinowl Aug 13, 2017

As per earlier post.

Aluurchin likes this.
  11. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

No but it seems like the same Watch that I've been looking at....

12. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

Thanks BartH! I will keep that in mind :)

Edwinowl, thanks but reluminating them, will it affect value of the watch? Like some people would prefer all original/ untouched...

13. Aluurchin Aug 13, 2017

Thank! I see some Lum missing

IMG_4324.JPG
  14. cagkut Aug 14, 2017

Actually it is much more desirable if the lume on the hour markers is there and even, but it is better if the lume is washed away rather than a partial dirty uneven lume. Look at the watch below which used to belong to me, it had no tritium whatsoever on the hour markers but I'd prefer looking at that dial any day of the week instead of a dirty partial tritium carrying dial. It sold top $ by the way. So it is all subjective at the end of the day. And as far as I'm concerned you've got yourself a very nice Speedy.

image.png

Edited Aug 14, 2017
  15. Aluurchin Aug 14, 2017

Thank you everyone for your input... but the piece is sold... I will have to keep looking for one
    Thank you so much for your input. It really helps me a lot! :)

cagkut likes this.
  16. atc100 Aug 16, 2017

I have a dial with no lume on it and it looks great. All depends what you like or not, and how much are you willing to pay. Hands were repainted to match the dial. [​IMG][​IMG]

17. georgeszaslavsky Aug 16, 2017

too many defects and flaws,and when says taht there is lume it should be on the hands and on the indexes as well. A misleading description of the item is a serious warning for me for not trusting the seller.

18. cagkut Aug 16, 2017

The OP says that seller mentions lume loss on the dial and the hands, it is also very clear in the detailed photos. Where is the misleading information? Why is the seller not to be trusted? OTOH I don't see too many defects and flaws with this watch other than the sweep second hand and sub dial hands being dirty. Not very fair bashing people so easily.

19. georgeszaslavsky Aug 16, 2017

If you take the first picture of the watch posted by aluurchin to which I was referring, the lume is missing completely on the hands. When something is in average condition, I have the honesty to call it average condition because this is what it is. Wonder what the movement looks like in this one but some persons are more nitpicking and unforgiving on details when it comes to an expensive vintage watch purchase. I don't bash anyone, I prefer honesty when it comes to sellers. After that everyone is completely free to do what pleases him.

20. cagkut Aug 16, 2017

Understood that, but I see nothing dishonest here. He says "I come across an omega speedmaster 145.012 and it was mentioned that the Lum lost for hands and dials" after all, which means the seller whom you are accusing being misleading and not trustworthy had already mentioned that the dial and hands lost lume and he puts detailed photos. What should he do more to gain your trust as an honest seller that's what I do not understand really...