Forums Latest Members
  1. Saiming Aug 24, 2014

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for my first vintage Omega timepiece. I was wondering what your opinion of this watch would be regarding authenticity?

According to the seller this timepiece is an automatic - but if I am not mistaken the case reference deems it to be a manual winding chronograph.
    Also, I have never seen the inside of a case layed out like that before.

Thanks!

P.S Apologies for the poor screenshots!

Back.png Crown.png Dial 1.png DIal 2.png Dial 3.png Inside Case.png Movement.png

vberch likes this.
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 24, 2014

14704 seems right for this cal 591. Dial is original although it looks like some rank amateur has tried to remove the hands without taking the normal precautions of protecting the dial.

Can't see if you have the 17 jewel or 20 jewel version of this calibre, which was pretty well designated for entry level Seamasters. That's not to say that it is inferior, only that it was cheaper to make.

Samir likes this.
  3. Hijak Aug 24, 2014

When I pull up the case reference, 14704 on the Omega Vintage Database it looks all correct...automatic cal. 591 created in 1959. The caseback inside is a little different but IMO looks legit and the serial # dates this to ~1960...this looks like a nice watch, at the right price of course.;) Would like to see better pictures of the case to determine how polished it may or may not be.

4. Saiming Aug 25, 2014

Yes I did notice those dots, but I assumed it was due to some genuine wear and tear. Pardon for asking but I would just like to understand how omega vintage experts and enthusiasts analyse the 14707 number. In my amateurish attempts to research more on vintage watches I came across this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-spot-Fake-and-Frankestein-Omega-/10000000177399639/g.htmlPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And usually refer to the various tables in the website above. There it is stated that a "4" in the 2nd digit would mean a manual chronograph. Could someone kindly explain what I am doing wrong? =)

I double-checked and according to the seller it is a 20 jewel version. Would a 17 jewel version be considered a cheaper make - or is it the caliber itself?

Thanks for the helpful advice mondodec!

Thanks for the reply! I just checked the Omega Vintage Database with the reference - first time a result actually pops up!
    I have added some new pictures.

Crown.png Dial.png

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 25, 2014

The 17 jewel version was usually earmarked for the USA to save excise, which rose considerably after 17, whereas generally the 20 jewel version was exported to other countries. More jewels in this instance is better as it has three more jewels on the automatic winding mechanism.

Cheers D