Forums Latest Members
  1. mattt Mar 4, 2019

So, I have bought an omega de ville dynamic with a 17 jewel movement... according to the ebay description. It has a day/date function. The serial number is 35136491 on the movement and the numbers inside the case back are 166144.

To the best I can find, that serial number is from 1972, and that case back number is from 1973. Also, I cannot seem to confirm that a 17 jewel movement has ever been a day/date for the "dynamic". Would someone please shed some light?

s-l400.jpg s-l401.jpg s-l403.jpg
    alex10 likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2019

According to OVDB the 166.144 should house a 23J Caliber 1022.

If it's 17 jewels it would be a caliber 1020.

As we can't tell from the photographs, you need a view of the other side of the movement with the rotor turned 180º so that we can see the caliber marking and the jewel count.

3. mattt Mar 4, 2019

Thank you for the help. I just bought it, it hasn't even shipped yet. But the serial number gave me pause once I looked into it. I'll ask the seller if he can flip the movement over and send me the picture.

I know I'll sound like a Philistine, but what is the OVDB?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 4, 2019

omega vintage data base

5. mattt Mar 4, 2019

I should have googled before I spoke. I just figured that out. According to what I found the 166.0144 (I don't know the significance of the "0" that does not appear on my case back), the case should be gold-plated and circular too. Not stainless and round. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2019

The OVDB requires an additional "0" in the reference number, I don't know why, only Ω do.

Omega often produced many variations of the same model (case material/bracelets/straps/dials etc) and the OVDB usually only contains one example of the particular reference.

I think your watch looks OK from what we can see and whether it's a 1020 or a 1022 doesn't really matter, they are both fine calibers.

Ed: Although I have to say, probably Omega's ugliest movements, but that's just my opinion.

7. mattt Mar 4, 2019

Thanks for the help. This is my first attempt at this forum and at a vintage watch. Does that mean aesthetically, or functionally? I assume the former (which I'm okay with) given that you said they were "fine". I just want to be sure that the movement isn't from another watch, and I'm having a hard time with that. I'll try to get pictures of the over side of the movement when the seller gets back on Wednesday.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2019

My guess is the seller doesn't know what they are talking about regarding the jewel count and just guessed 17-jewels out of ignorance. Some of these are not actually marked with their jewel count.

OPs movement is clearly marked 1022.

lokiuuy.jpg

Foo2rama and JimInOz like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2019

Ah yes, the original listing for better pics.
    Why didn't I think of that ::facepalm2::.

10. mattt Mar 5, 2019

Yup... there it is 1022 right under the serial number. Thank you!

So, no eyebrows raised at the fact that the case wasn't made until 1973 but the movement has a 1972 serial number? That's normal?

This is the link to the original listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OM...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Mar 5, 2019