Forums Latest Members
  1. Leftinthelurch Feb 25, 2016

Hello all,

I haven't yet had this watch checked by a watchmaker but I believe it has a 600 series manual wind movement in it. Does anybody know the particular one by looking at the watch? How accurate were these movements and how close can I get to within -/+ 5 seconds a day ( even 0)? I don't know much about movements but it is my daily watch and am interested to hear about these movements.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Canuck Feb 25, 2016

Your Omega was not rated as a chronometer by the factory. Your hope to have it run within 5 seconds a day, or better yet to run with no variation will likely never be achieved. What do you know of the service history? You say you haven't had it looked at by a technician. Your watch is probably 40 to 45 years old, or older. What you might expect out of it depends on a lot of factors. Wearing pattern. It's present condition. Does it need parts? If so, are parts available? What standard of work has been done on it before? How would you feel if some days it was a few seconds slow, and the next day, a few seconds fast? Are you prepared to pay what a shop needs to bring it to its highest performance capability? How will you feel if it is not possible to bring it to the standards you expect, after you pay a bunch of money? If you tell shops you expect dead accuracy after a repair, don't be surprised if shops refuse the repair!

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2016

Based on the fact this watch has a date function, it will be either a 610, 611, or 613. A 612 is listed in some Omega documentation I have, but seems to be one that doesn't show up often.

The timing specs set out by Omega for these are all the same. The average daily rate should be between -1 and +16 seconds per day, measured over 3 positions since this is not a chronometer. The target rate is +8 seconds per day. The allowed positional variation can be as much as 25 seconds at full wind, and 35 seconds at full wind -24 hours, and still be in spec.

So reading that, +/-5 doesn't seem likely, but keep in mind these are maximum specs and don't always reflect what the watch is capable of.

The condition of the movement and skill of the person servicing it will have a very large impact on the performance after service. In my personal experience servicing this family of movements (including the non-date version) they tend to perform pretty well and easily exceed the rather loose specs noted above. Often the movement can be made to run within the specs that Omega requires for their modern certified chronometers, so +/- 5 per day is certainly not unheard of.

Cheers, Al

Leftinthelurch and ChrisN like this.