Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 4, 2015

I will gladly post pictures tomorrow in exchange for help today! (I'm in the office, and don't have the watch handy).
    Last night after well over a year, I picked up my friend's Universal Tri-Compax from repair. We (me, friend, and watchmaker) finally gave up hope of finding a Universal center mounted chrono sweep hand, and the watchmaker fitted a non-original replacement.
    I am preparing a letter/essay for my friend, describing as much as I can about his watch. My question is about two serial numbers on the back of the case. The first appears to be the serial number which, according to sources (I used Search!) suggest a manufacture date in or around 1948. The second serial number perhaps refers to the model or case? The case is a Swiss, UG-signed 14k yellow gold snap-back.
    Can anyone help? Or direct me to a resource? I did find @gatorcpa 's post but the photos don't show up. I think it was a list of production years for serial numbers. I'll go with 1948 until advised otherwise. Can't find what the other serial refers to?
    Pictures coming when I dig them out of my phone from summer last year. Thanks!

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 4, 2015

Ok, here's my crappy phone pics under incandescent lighting (for documentation while I had it open a year ago):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the "before" pictures, BTW. I am not inclined to open it after a fresh service, but I'll post natural light pictures of the face tomorrow. Sadly, it's a refinished dial (poor at that), and the blue tachymetre is mostly faded or missing. :(
    At least my friend can take comfort in the fact it was this dial his uncle (after whom he was named, so the engraved initials match!) glanced at to determine the phase of the moon. And maybe the time...

3. ELV web Dec 4, 2015

Serial number in attached table.

Model number "abcdef"
    a = case material (1 = gold, 2 = steel, 3/4 = chromed/plated, 5 = 14k gold, 6 = white gold, 7 = platinum) all from memory so other members please correct me if I am wrong

b = watch type (1 = time, 2 = chronograph)

cde = indicates caliber inside, there is a thread in this forum that has this in detail.

image.jpeg
    Jonatan, Time Exposure and Diabolik like this.
  4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 4, 2015

Thank you @ELV web. I searched "serial," "model," and "reference." These were too common to search considering all the stuff these search words returned.
    Any suggestions on search terms to use?
    So far, most of the model code makes sense to me. 5 = 14 K gold (true), 2 = chronograph (true), then I'm lost. The caliber is 481 but the code says "...218." Maybe 218 is the code for a 481?
    Just an aside: I'm writing the "letter" to my friend about his watch. 7 pages!!!
    And you thought I was long winded on the forum! ;)

5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 4, 2015

Perhaps we should have a sticky thread with this info?

Too lazy to type it out :p Sorry for the out-of-focus pics

20151204_152858.jpg 20151204_152926.jpg

nicolas07, ELV web and Jonatan like this.
  6. Hijak Dec 4, 2015

spoynya

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 4, 2015

It's okay, I speak Lazy.
    But mostly I appreciate you taking the time to relay the info!
    So 2 = cal. 481 (true). And the last two digits are case style 18!
    Now that I have my answers courtesy of the awesome members above, all that remains is the picture I promised! I'll close it out tomorrow.
    Thanks again!

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 4, 2015

Sorry if I have missed it, but I'm guessing this is your search word for future reference? If not, I don't get it?

9. Hijak Dec 4, 2015

You got it!:thumbsup:

10. Jonatan Dec 4, 2015

Out of focus? I guess my eyes are out of focus also because the pictures look clear to me. Thank you for the info.

And yes, a sticky would be nice.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 5, 2015

For anyone checking back for pictures :)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even with its sad redial, there's a beauty and undeniable class about this watch. I'm sure my friend will be pleased!

12. Jonatan Jan 10, 2016

Dear Mods. Could we make this thread a sticky?