Forums Latest Members
  1. colourbounce Feb 27, 2016

Hi, I am new here, this has probably been covered a hundred times, but here goes. I have just sold my Planet Ocean and am looking to upgrade now. I have seen the one i want, it is listed (ebay) as brand new, and has all the acetate still in place over front and back. I asked for photos of the cards, warranty and Chrono etc. All that appear available are the pictograms and the warranty card. On the warranty card, the watch number appears but no sign of a jeweller name and it is not dated either. The seller tells me he bought the watch from a family member. Any advice on here would be great, I love the watch but the card situation doesn't add up?

2. demollo Feb 27, 2016

Hi, welcome to the forum. If the Warranty Card is not stamped by the Authorized Omega dealer then you won't have Omega warranty. If I were you I would look up the watch you want on the forum in Sales section. You can contact the sellers via PM. Also provide a link to the ebay auction so we can see if there is anything fishy about the watch.

3. colourbounce Feb 27, 2016

Hi demollo, many thanks for your time. How would you go about seeing if there is anything fishy about the listing? The person selling only has a 7 score and, from email convo last night, was eager to talk to the family member he bought if from in order to answer my questions. Would you have any idea how a watch could leave a dealer without a stamp, other than theft, or watch not being real in the first place?

4. demollo Feb 27, 2016

You haven't mentioned which model are you trying to upgrade to. If there is a photo of the movement then more experience forum members can help with telling if there is everything ok with the watch. Authorized dealers sell the watches to grey market dealers without a stamp and then they resell it for really good price, but with no official Omega warranty(they usually give some in-house warranty on a watch.) You can ask where the watch was bought, if the seller has the proof of purchase etc.

5. colourbounce Feb 27, 2016

Thanks, it is a planet ocean - ebay number is 151991883125. I am waiting for some proof of purchase next week. Be very interested if you guys feel the watch is genuine.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 27, 2016

Lack of stamp just means it was sold grey market and has no warranty. Oddly when my PO Chrono needed service they never asked for the card at the Omega Boutique. If the serial number matches the watch it looks legit, but there are some really good fakes out there on these.

One concern is the low price as well as the date. I thought these quick jumped the date not starting at 15 till the hour. I may be wrong.

7. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 27, 2016

I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT BUY from someone with only 7 feedbacks!

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 27, 2016

...and only as a buyer...

Impondering likes this.
  9. wx_073 Feb 27, 2016

+1

10. demollo Feb 27, 2016

I agree with the others. Try to search for the watch on http://www.watchrecon.com/ It is a watch forums sales search engine. There are some PO chrono posted for sale.

destroid likes this.
  11. colourbounce Feb 28, 2016

Thanks all, if it's a fake, it is a very good one. Think I will need to give it a wide one by the sounds of it. Thanks again.

12. colourbounce Feb 29, 2016

Sorry, I am still on this dilemma ! I have contacted Omega agents in the local area but cannot find any interest in having a paid for service to authenticate the watch. Would anyone have had experience in getting a watch checked out professionally? Outside of Omega stockists, I am not finding the way forward.

13. demollo Feb 29, 2016

We gave you all an advice already. We would not buy form the seller with 7 poitive feedback on Ebay. Also the watch does not have the official Omega warranty. The price at the moment is $4,158. You can compare the prices of the watches listed on different watch forums here:
    http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=232.30.46.51.01.001

May i ask why are you so tempted to buy this one ? Is it because of the price ?

nickw likes this.
  14. arkstfan Feb 29, 2016

I've never sold on the bay and buy very little so I'd be a low feedback, and my last purchase I got out-bid at the last second. The buyer failed to pay. The seller relisted and I ended up buying at my last offer directly so no feedback.

I'd be leery if the seller were in a scam frequent place or had several auctions going with little to no feedback.

What bothers me about this situation is the "I bought from a family member and I don't really know anything about this watch I own." That would scare me seriously because the BEST CASE is the person doesn't know anything about watches but thought he could buy it cheap from family then flip it. Not a real endorsement of the seller in my book and it could be a lot worse.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. colourbounce Feb 29, 2016

I am keeping up with this watch as the only advice against it is the seller has low feedback. In my initial post here, it was thought that some could look at images of the item and call it fake or otherwise? I am merely now looking to see if anyone has gone through a process to get a watches authenticity proven, if I get that I will most probably go ahead with the purchase.

16. novina Feb 29, 2016

17. colourbounce Feb 29, 2016

Thanks novina, I couldn't get that link posted.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 29, 2016

@colourbounce
    The issue is there are some amazing fakes out there on this watch. This guy has zero feedback and no one here is going to recommend it to you because of that. The pics are not high quality enough to show if it is real or not, and an Omega Boutique will not authenticate for you, they will send it in for service which may bounce it back as a fake. IF you are hell bent on this, ask for a high quality shot of the case back there is a serial number printed on the bottom right see if that matches, but that will still not auth the watch only be one more step that would be hard to fake.

I have 2 concerns about the watch itself. The fluting on the movement appears to be slightly different on 1 of the pieces vs my reference, this may or may not be a mfg difference. The case seems too thick in one shot, but that may be the angle. I referenced the date moving at 15 minutes to switch over earlier, but after reviewing video of this movement that seems norma.

demollo likes this.
  19. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 29, 2016

arkstfan likes this.
  20. arkstfan Feb 29, 2016

Of course it is possible but I vetted it here and the watchmaker I used to service it felt it was all square and gushed about it being a nice example.