Forums Latest Members

Help with my Universal Geneve watch

1. confused Dec 5, 2018

I have inherited a UG watch. I know nothing about watches at all and searching online has only bewildered me more.
    Watch was bought new in 1970's and pictures are attached. Numbers on back of case are 156105 2856469. I believe case and bracelet are gold? I'd really appreciate being told anything about this watch, how much it might be worth and how to go about selling it? Thanks.

Watch front.jpg Watch back.jpg
  2. gop76 Dec 5, 2018

Late 60's or early 70's model. Case is 18k gold and the bracelet, probably, is gold too.
    The movement is the manual wind cal. 56 (based on Movado 347).
    The value, imo, is the value in gold plus 100 € or so for the movement.
    A good quality watch you have there...

Carlton-Browne, Larry S and Vitezi like this.
  3. Carlton-Browne Dec 6, 2018

I'm genuinely interested in how you know it's a cal 56 (I can only imagine it's because you know the case reference).

4. gop76 Dec 6, 2018

After the reference nomenclature change (in 1964, i think) the first digit on reference indicates the case material (1 is 18k gold like in the former nomenclature but, for example, ss is 8 instead of 2) and the second and third digits indicates the cal. number. So the ref 156xxx is a 18k gold watch with cal. 56 inside

5. bgrisso Dec 6, 2018

I don't think this style is particularly fashionable these days ? maybe it will come back around ?!

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 6, 2018

Imo it’s in such great shape. Deserves a reasonable service ... not a melt down and part out.

CafeRacer and gop76 like this.
  7. confused Dec 6, 2018

Many thanks for the helpful information. To advertise for sale therefore I need to establish value of the gold plus 100 euros odd for the movement. When weighing the watch to establish gold weight I therefore need to subtract weight of the movement. Can you tell me the approx weight of the movement? Watch has been serviced after many years of non use so is working. Thanks also for saying it's a decent watch.